• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Here! 1970 Challenger 426 Question

Reaction score
Here is a VIN pad of a 1970 Hemi Engine

View attachment 117640
Thank you so much for the pic. From what I’ve read, it looks like they have a warranty or replacement block.

PXL_20231209_210948708.jpg

Finoke

Reaction score
It almost looks like there may be some numbers stamped on the extreme lower right of the engine vin pad? It looks like 334? Maybe part of a misalligned original stamping. If definitely no numbers, then yes I would think warranty block if its dated 1969 with no VIN stamped. Or another possiblitily is a machinist at some point ground down the pad to remove the VIN that was stamped there because it came from another car. A Real Hemi car with a date correct engine is still worth a nice sum.

Reaction score
It almost looks like there may be some numbers stamped on the extreme lower right of the engine vin pad? It looks like 334? Maybe part of a misalligned original stamping. If definitely no numbers, then yes I would think warranty block if its dated 1969 with no VIN stamped. Or another possiblitily is a machinist at some point ground down the pad to remove the VIN that was stamped there because it came from another car. A Real Hemi car with a date correct engine is still worth a nice sum.
We’ll get in there and look a little closer over the weekend. Thank you!

tonysrt

Reaction score
The thing about window stickers back in the day. My 68 Road Runner sticker was glued on the window and it was almost impossible to remove without damaging it. And not too many people cared that much about it back then. Today it's a whole different ball game. My 2005 Ram had sticker in the vehicle, not on the window and also my 2010 SRT had sticker in the car and the best part of it has my name and especially built for me because I ordered it.

Reaction score
Reliability isn’t the right word. According to e-bodies.org:

"In assembly, each vehicle had lots of Build Sheets to let each department know its specifications. From what I can tell Build Sheets were often discarded in a few places in the car, perhaps as a way to get rid of them. It’s believed that most of the Build Sheets placed in E-Bodies came from the upholstery department. With over a hundred thousand vehicles built at each of these factories every year, placing Build Sheets in the car may have been the easiest way to dispose of them. No one knows for sure why some cars left the factory with Build Sheets while others did not. A pattern has been established however, most E-Bodies built in Los Angeles did not leave the factory with a Build Sheet. While most E-Bodies built in Hamtramck left with at least one Build Sheet and sometimes lucky owners found two or more!"

From what I can tell from the broadcast sheet, a few things don’t match up already, so I’m not confident it’s the right one for the car.

But I really don’t know what I don’t know here.

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
You know that a broadcast sheet is the right one for the car if the vehicle identification number matches. If the VIN matches, then the only question is whether or not the broadcast sheet is real or a fake. Lots of faked documentation out there, especially for high dollar cars like anything with a hemi.

Reaction score
It looks like it got used to clean up an oil spill, then maybe caught fire. I can’t decipher some of the digits at all. I can guess some of the numbers, but I’m skeptical if it’s the correct one for the car.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
This is why I build mine my way. Don't care about numbers or value. Just enjoy them for what they are. Once there are too nice or too correct, no one drives them anymore once they become museum pieces.

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with trying to learn about these cars, but what is your real objective here? If you are trying to help your buddy sell it for top dollar, it's probably worth having it appraised by a knowledgeable and reputable inspector.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with trying to learn about these cars, but what is your real objective here? If you are trying to help your buddy sell it for top dollar, it's probably worth having it appraised by a knowledgeable and reputable inspector.
There are a couple objectives; learn why his dad spent a ton of money on this car in 2019, and now the family is being offered about half of what he paid. His dad was meticulous and extremely smart, so I doubt he made a huge error in judgement.

The more we dive into this rabbit-hole, the more interesting quirks/rarities we learn about the car. We’re thinking dad knew these things and that’s why he bought it. It’s a special car. We’re just trying to figure out the details that he seemed to know.

No matter what, it’s been fun learning about these cars. They really are awesome.

Finoke

Reaction score
Research the numbers on the carbs too. Original carbs boost the value as well as original exhaust manifolds, air cleaner and other hi dollar parts if you want to estimate it’s worth. Even original wheels. You may need to hire someone to come in and evaluate. Dave Wise comes to mind. It may cost 5 grand but he will validate what you have even down to original nuts and bolts. The Team - David Wise Sometimes it takes an investment like that to get the most out of the car. I would feel a lot better looking to buy a car like this if it had a Wise report.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
We can tell you a lot of info about the car's options and provenance if you post the fender tag, the broadcast sheet, and any pictures of the dash VIN, the cowl and radiator support VIN stampings, etc.
The car is probably well-known in the Mopar community already as 1970 Hemi Challengers are extremely, low production and a Plum Crazy Metallic Hemi Challenger is likely less than 8% of those.

Back