• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Here! 1970 Challenger 426 Question

Reaction score
Hello! I posted this on reddit and was told that this is where the smart people hang out.:) Any help is greatly appreciated.

My buddy’s dad passed away last year and left behind a super nice 1970 Challenger 426 finished in Plum Crazy purple. The VIN numbers match on the fenders, radiator support, hood, etc., so the body appears to be all original.

Problem is, we can’t quite figure out how to tell if the engine/transmission are numbers matching with the VIN. According to the internet, there should be a VIN number located on the block above the oil pan, but there isn’t one.

The code on the transmission’s bell housing only shows that it’s a 1970 transmission and it gives the build sequence. I don’t know what to do with the sequence to match it to the engine or car.

The engine block itself has the Engine Identification Number, that when decoded, shows that it’s a 426 built 11-11-69. According to the car’s VIN, the car itself was built 12-5-69, so I think the dates make sense for manufacturing purposes.

The car is registered with Galen’s Tag Service and was featured in a magazine in the early 90s.

Questions:

Are there other ways to tell if it’s the original engine?

Can anyone help us make sense of the sequence numbers for the transmission?

Thank you for reading!

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Motors were always built before the cars assembly. Could be a warranty block too if they killed the original one. Sometimes stamped and sometimes not. Should be one on the read chunk as well and I think it would be a Dana 60 as I think Super Track Pack was mandatory on Hemi cars.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Is there a partial VIN number stamped on the pad by the oil pan rail? A warranty block would have no stampings on the pad.
This is likely a factory available over-the-counter block, which would be available for purchase or use for warranty repairs at the dealership.
The vin numbers will be stamped on the transmission pad not the bell housing.
1704767146690.jpeg
1704766988021.jpeg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Galen usually sends a letter or document of what he decided. Does your buddy have that? It might answer a lot.

Reaction score
Is there a partial VIN number stamped on the pad by the oil pan rail? A warranty block would have no stampings on the pad.
This is likely a factory available over-the-counter block, which would be available for purchase or use for warranty repairs at the dealership.
The vin numbers will be stamped on the transmission pad not the bell housing.View attachment 117630View attachment 117629
Thank you for the reply! I was able to locate the EIN on the pad near the oil pan and I was able to decode it with the help of google. There was only one letter I couldn’t account for; a large raised A+ or possibly At (Maybe for automatic transmission? But that seems odd to be stamped on the block).

Having the EIN doesn’t help figure out which car it was originally installed in though - at least that’s what I’ve read on the interwebs. I’m hoping there’s some other clue somewhere.

The transmission is a torqueflight automatic, so would it be on a similar pad?

Reaction score
So what is the rest of the story here. Are you doing this research with the owners knowledge ? Looking to buy this car ?
The family has had a few offers on the car and we’re trying to sus out their legitimacy.
The offers seem low in general, but very low if the engine is original.

Finoke

Reaction score
The 727 Transmission VIN 1969 and later is on a raised pad on the passenger side of the trans on the bellhousing area. It is circled in black on this picture that someone previously posted on this site. Take a rag with mineral spirits and rub hard as there may be grease and grit that will make it appear blank.

D2C0CA5A-A273-416A-8C6D-1484EA0CE9DC.jpeg

Finoke

Reaction score
I would also say that original paperwork / old pictures really adds to the value. Any dealer receipts, service records? Was your friends Dad the original owner. That would help greatly too in value. History from day one, like what dealer it was purchased from. is the car restored or in original condition and paint? The fender tag should read FC7 if its a real plum crazy purple car which raises the value. Also if its a real Hemi car the VIN on the dash should start with JS23R0B

Last edited:
Back