• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New PB's (long)

Tig

Reaction score
Hi All
Well we had a great time :D , we PB'd 3 times over last weekend (2nd and 3rd May).
Our first pass was a checkout 1/8 mile pass and coast. 10.466 @ 91.41, we had broke out by a mile on a 11.99 dial :( . We also should have looked at the 330ft time which at the time we overlooked but was showing promise since it was our first under 4 seconds. The launch was loose and we struggled for traction so we thought it wasn't anything special. Anyway we got back to the pit and checked the car over, tightend the stuff that was trying to fall off, topped up the trans fluid then upped the timing to our normal 38 degs.
Our 2nd pass was slightly worse, a small wheelie followed by tyre spin and a move to the left, everything up to the 1/8 th was slower than the 1st run but we had gone 9.77 @ 138.23 on a 9.74 dial this qualified us at the no 9 position something we held on to all weekend. Back at the pit we dialed the timing back to 36 and tightend the other stuff up that didn't try to fall off last time. We also added more trans fluid since the shifts still felt soft.
3rd pass was a surprise :eek: . The car didn't launch well at all and I had to correct it just past the 330ft mark after moving left. Through the traps I noticed that we had an extra 100rpm showing on the tach. Back at the pit I was pleased to see we had run a PB of 9.66 @ 140.19. Talking to the guy we had run against he said he had noticed some smoke emerge as we slowed in the shut down. We removed the trans inspection plate and a trickle of fluid came out. Guess I must have over filled it so we drained 1/2 litre out and jetted up 2 sizes on the primaries for an experiment.
4th pass was slower, 9.70 @ 139.72 on a 9.65 dial, we were still moving about so we swapped the slicks round since I had neglected to mark them and went back to the base jetting. We would have to wait till morning for our 5th run. A few beers were consumed that evening :cool:
We were the 1st class out and we got major spin off the line but the car went strieght. Back at the pits we found we had too much tyre pressure but we had run a 9.71@ 138.77 on the previous 9.65 dial. We did the usual checks and noticed the carb had lost 2 nuts off the studs and was real loose :mad: . We checked the plugs and it looked like we had dodged a bullet, Phew :) . We checked even more stuff than usual this time but it looked like every thing else was settling down tightness wise.
We were hoping for another 4 qualifiers today but oil downs and incidents meant we were to have only one more. The car pulled a good wheelie and again 7100rpm through the traps. Cath and the crew were waiting at the end of the return road with big grins so I stopped and the ticket was thrust in my face, a 9.62@ 140.77 apart from the 60ft it was the fastest we had run across the ticket. Much more beer was consumed that evening :D .
The next day dawned cold and wet with a brisk 3/4 tailwind :( . It's eliminations, we had no 18 qualifier Mick Howling who had only qualified there due to damage.They had replaced rod and crank bearings overnight after a fractured oil pick up pipe and got out for eliminations, Fair play. It was a late start and it was still cold, we had no idea what to dial since we were fairly sure we would go quicker but the cold track temp should negate that. We decided on a 9.62. Mick had dialed 9.70. On the launch we seemed to leave at the same time I saw no red so figured I had the advantage on the leave. It was a good launch as I pulled for 2nd gear with the wheels still up and I began to reel Mick in. By the 1/8th we were neck and neck and the at 1000ft we got by and Mick slowed as he couldn't catch, It's an old tried and tested bracket trick and I realised he was trying to dump me since he couldn't take the stripe so l came off the gas too and coasted enough to keep a wing out in front.
Back at the pits I was astounded to see I had broke out, a 9.58 @ 134.25!
Everything across the board was the quickest we'd run :) . 6.100 @ 113.55 was 1/2 of a 10th up on the 9.62 run at the 1/8th. We were 7/100ths up at the 1000ft when we slowed so we figure it would at least have been a 9.55 had we not lifted and realistically a 9.52 ;) . Mick had run 9.705 on his 9.70 dial so we visited his pit to congratulate the victor. We analysed the tickets and I had indeed caught the tree first by .01, he had a better 60ft to overcome that and also slowed at the 1000ft since he saw me coming quickly. He made the right decision, again, fair play.
Anyway we're back out in 3 weeks when we hope we'll back up the 9.5's Just got some trans stuff to check and re-do the valve lash and we're good to go.
Thanks all for your interest.
Tig

Last edited:
Back