• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

new to carbs help

Dave360

Reaction score
hello
Im new to the carb and am having a few problems

so I have a eddy carb 1813 800cfm sitting on a La 360 with aluminium heads intake all the rest...now I got the carb to start up fine and idle all day long and rev up. Now until the car is completely warmed up, if I put it in gear drive or reverse it flat out stalls (even then sometimes when warm). if I do get out of the driveway and accelerate the car will back fire a little bit.

so I think I am running lean at idle it says around 12.4 but when I run it down the road I can be 10-1 to 16-1 or sometimes it reads -- blank on the air/fuel gauge
should I put in smaller metering rods or what.

also I was wondering if the carb is too big for the motor

thanks alot Dave

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It is on the large side but with the adjustable air door it really cannot over carb the engine . It may be a vacuum problem , without enough vacuum the metering rods will rise so you need to know what vacuum reading at idle in gear & make sure the springs under the metering rods are rated lighter than the reading you are getting . Check the float levels too as they can be off just from being bounced during shipping

moparleo

Reaction score
If the carb was new in the box, they are normally flow tested and adjusted. Normally you only just need the set the idle. Also, one of the advantages of fuel injection is that the car will run just fine whether it is warmed up or not. Carbs will always have problems until warmed up as long as the choke is working properly.

Dave360

Reaction score
I bought the car two weeks ago and its had problems since I check the vacuum and get let you know....and Im not going efi to much money and I've messed around with them enough they too can have many problems

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Not to be an ass but I completely disagree with this , the compatability between an engine build & carb can be waaaay off out of the box & the engine may not run at all at idle without tuning the carb , there are at least 2 factors here ,first the factory has no clue what engine the carb will be put on or what cam intake combo will be used so they set it to a generic average setting , specifically powervalves will generally be rated @ 6" vacuum but a lot of engine will not make 6" at idle in gear , fuel pump pressure will make a huge difference also , if you have a fuel pump producing 5 psi the float level will need to be higher or it may stumble as it lags drawing fuel into the boosters , if the pump is producing 7 psi the floats have to be set lower or it may flood . Secondly in shipping thing get vibrated out of adjustment , I have seen 1/4" differences in float height side to side or front to back just from being dropped in shipping , you have to correct issues & do some tuning for a carb to work properly right out of the box .

moparleo

Reaction score
He doesn't have a Holley. He didn't say in the first post that he only has had the car for 2 weeks.
So who knows what engine combo he has.
Remember that most of the time, when diagnosing a problem you check the simple , obvious things first. The things that you mention as possibilities are more of the exception more than the rule. Start at the beginning and work your way up.
He says that he has an Edelbrock carb, aluminum heads and " all the rest". What does that mean ?
He says "sometimes it reads blank on the air fuel gauge." What type of diagnostic tools is he using. Air/fuel ratio is something to worry about after you get it to idle.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I know he doesn't have a Holley , I was just using that as an example but the power valve function is controlled by the springs under the metering rods & unfortunalty there is no way to adjust those as much as you can with a Holley , but I do agree to keep it simple & look for easy problems first .

Yatzee

Reaction score
I have a brand new 750 Edelbrock carb on my 383 Magnum and I would hesitate to buy another no matter
how good the price is. My problem is maintaining idle speed from cool to hot. Jumps up 200 r.p.m.'s when
warmed up. Turn it back, turn it up - just won't hold idle. I've talked to quite a few other people and they
have the same complaint. After a zillion checks ( timing, vacuum, distributor, idle mixture, choke and float
levels) I've had it. Edelbrock has no answers or solutions. Time for a change.

Back