• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New to E-bodies

Kez

Reaction score
You can see it here if you zoom in. Some of the black paint has rubbed off, but you can still see that the paint line splits the trim, tail panel is black, trunk side is chrome.
IMG_1824.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
Excellent, thanks!! Glad to hear that since I really do think it looks better that way. On my car, the chrome surround (trunk lid molding and small end pieces on each rear fender) were also masked and painted half black/ half chrome. Will try and get you some pictures if I can find them. THe masking job for the paint on the chrome was not as carefully done, so it almost appears that was done later, but not certain. How did yours come from factory? You are a lucky man to drive one of these from new and still have it!

Nope not done later either. The R/T deck lid and quarter trim pieces were also painted half black up to that groove in the trim at the factory. The standard narrow trim for the front of the hood and fenders was also painted the same way. BTW, the narrow trim is actually aluminum, not chrome.

I didn't drive my car from new until now. Sold it in 1978 when kids came along but was lucky enough to track it down in 1989 and get it back. It needed a full restoration taking me five years to complete.

Kez

Reaction score
Great info and thanks. I guess I will have to learn how to polish aluminum now. Congrats on getting your car back. I am hoping it won't take me 5 years to complete this one, but I know that reality says it probably will be! Where on this site can I find pics of your car? Still learning how to navigate here.

moparlee

Reaction score
I don't have any restoration pics on this site as I did mine well before I was a member here. Go to the member restoration forum here and you can see lots of good examples. Here is one that a guy did for a 71 R/T 340 which is very good.
1971 Challenger 340 RT

I will post up a couple pics of my car later.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Nice collection of cars and I think you really lucked out with that Challenger. I'm partial to the '68 B-bodies myself so I dig the 500, does it by chance have a fender tag with it?
I had a fender tag made at Marti Autoworks in AZ(I think) from a build sheet for a '71 Charger R/T a few years back and it looked like it was factory and was 100 bucks. An exact reproduction can't be made from the build sheet as there was some info that can only be found on a fender tag but as long as you're not trying to pass it off as the original tag to the car there's no harm in it.

Kez

Reaction score
Thanks DetMatt!! The 68 Coronet does have a fender tag and I can snap a pic if you want.
MoparLee, that is a great thread you sent - I have been drooling over the pictures, hope mine turns out half as nice. He spent a lot of money on that car and it shows! The pics will come in handy as I reassemble mine.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I would like to see the tag for the '68, thanks.
I have used that thread for reference on several occasions.

Back