• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New to E-bodies

Kez

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just joined the forum because I finally found an e-body I wanted and could afford. It's a 1971 Challenger RT, all matching numbers, high option 383/727 car, butterscotch with white interior and vinyl top. I chased leaking freeze plugs for a month, with short 10 second starts, before finally pulling the engine and stripping the car to restore. I will be reading the threads here to get restoration info and appreciate all the work everyone has done posting info that will help. Have used the B-body before and great to have communities of like-minded folks to share info.
My other Dodges include:
1949 p/u 5 window pilot house
1954 p/u
1954 Power Wagon
1968 Coronet 500 White Hat Special
IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_2280[1].JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice car! Love the butterscotch, I have a '71 convertible in the EL5 myself.

Kez

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice car! Love the butterscotch, I have a '71 convertible in the EL5 myself.
Thanks! Have seen plenty of pictures of EL5 convertibles on web searches. Also seems to be the most common color to have the Wide Hood Trim option - have never seen any data on how many cars were shipped with wide hood trim, but I did see something that indicated 1971 was the only year it was available. It's one of the things I liked about this car, in addition to it being unmolested and very rust free CA only car.

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Great looking solid 71 RT. What are your plans, keeping it all original? Let's see some pics of those other Dodges.

Kez

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And sorry for the duplicate pictures in my original post - I could not tell if I was getting them loaded.

THe only thing that looked different from factory on this car was the Edelbrock car, everything else was bone stock, so I intend to go back with it that way. It has PS, PB, PW, Front/Rear roll bars, AC, etc. so there are lots of subsystems to go through and recondition. Yes, I took LOTS of pictures and have 8 plastic bins full of zip lock bags numbered, labeled and awaiting cleaning. One of the things that surprised me is there seems to be no blog or forum that shows how to dismantle one of these ebodies - would that be helpful to create and can someone explain if there already is one on this forum or how to go about creating? I would be happy to do or help do. Reason I ask is I had a heck of a time getting the doors disassembled. Could not find any info on how that regulator comes apart, and since access is not easy, hard to see how it is assembled in there. On the drivers door, I had the regulator let go, almost taking the tip of my little finger off in the process. Thankfully no major injury and I was able to get passenger door done with no further drama. Pictures of other cars would have helped, and some good descriptions, too. So should we start a new thread or other ideas?

Kez

Reaction score
Sad to say, I don't have a lot of good pics of my other projects, but here are the ones I do have - I will try and get some good shots and submit. Probably of least interest to this forum, here is the Datsun 240Z Series 1, picked it up in Los Angeles, dry southern CA car.

DSCN0353.JPG

DSCN0354.JPG

Kez

Reaction score
Here is the 54 Power Wagon - salvaged from a local junk yard. Someone had rebuilt the engine, but gone no further. All the other major parts were there, but have been removed in these pictures. Have not tried to start due to rotted fuel tank, but have the brakes in good repaid now.Have decided to leave the patina on the cab and bed, but straighten and paint fenders and running boards a low gloss black. Started work in this a few years back but was discouraged that 75% of the bolts shear off even if you can wire brush and squirt with penetrating oil. Need to buy a complete bolt kit for it!
DSCN0347.JPG
DSCN0348.JPG

Kez

Reaction score
1968 Dodge Coronet 500 White hat special. 383 w/727, found it in Palo Alto CA behind a motor hotel. Was not running, trailered it home, rebuilt carb and had it running in a week. Dings and dents all around this one, RF fender was crushed back to the marker light, so removed it and worked on it as part of a body shop class I took, need to reinstall. Will probably pull the engine and trans, go through both. Brakes are now redone, want to clean it up, remove glass and chrome to do high quality paint job, but not a rotisserie resto on this one. Factory white bucket seat interior. White hat special was a promo offered that deleted the vinyl roof and replaced with white paint - I like it! This one runs and sounds nice, with some additional body work and paint, will be a nice weekend cruiser.
DSCN0801.jpg
DSCN0804.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Very cool Power Wagon and Coronet 500. That Pwr Wag is a working beast. Being from Michigan I can really appreciate your dry non-rusted out vehicles. May have to take a trip to the SW someday.

Kez

Reaction score
Back to the Challenger, I have the build sheet but it did not have the fender tag. I understand you can get reproductions made with the build sheet, VIN and lots of documentation photos. Any suggestions on that?
IMG_2449[1].JPG

Kez

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the window regulator reassembled outside the door - hopefully would help someone else!
IMG_2417[1].JPG

Kez

Reaction score
And loaded the car on the trailer to take to blast and body shop Friday. Not really happy with it sitting so high off the trailer, but on the rotisserie, this is as low as I can get it. Had to build a platform out over the tongue to get it to fit on there - it's 18' end to end. Still need to get it stablized and strapped down, then it will be a slow easy drive over to the body shop. Found a great guy that will let me work with him on prepping the car for paint. Very happy there seems to be no hidden rust, no apparent rust through anywhere. Some flash rust in the trunk pan and a little under the front fenders at the rocker panel, but nothing major, and hope after blast it looks just as promising. Only three bolts sheared off on dis-assembly - two exhaust manifold bolts and one that attached the right front inner fender splash guard.
IMG_2444[1].JPG
IMG_2442[1].JPG

Kez

Reaction score
Another question - it sure looks like the rear panel above tail lights was painted black at the factory (it is nicely masked and painted with the chrome off) but most cars I see this is painted body color. Anybody know if this was done at the factory, or someone did it after delivery. Anybody know if some of the 71 Challenger RTs came from the factory this way?
IMG_2315[1].JPG
IMG_2316[1].JPG

Kez

Reaction score
Very cool Power Wagon and Coronet 500. That Pwr Wag is a working beast. Being from Michigan I can really appreciate your dry non-rusted out vehicles. May have to take a trip to the SW someday.
Mopar Lee - They are amazing trucks! I have had this one for 10 years and have not had the chance to work on it much because of moving to a new place and remodel/addition on the house (had to build a garage!!), but that's largely done and I am back to the car projects. I think when the Challenger is done, will do the Coronet (because that should be a short project) then tackle the Power Wagon. If you ever get this way (San Luis Obispo, CA) let me know and you are welcome to come see the fleet. Lots of great
IMG_2445[1].JPG
IMG_2446[1].JPG
cars in this area, was at a Donuts and Derelicts show yesterday and saw this car - a Toyota 2000GT - one of only 53. Way cool.

moparlee

Reaction score
Another question - it sure looks like the rear panel above tail lights was painted black at the factory (it is nicely masked and painted with the chrome off) but most cars I see this is painted body color. Anybody know if this was done at the factory, or someone did it after delivery. Anybody know if some of the 71 Challenger RTs came from the factory this way?

The 71 RT's only were blacked out like that, kind of a satin black. My original 71 RT (ordered by me, but since restored by me) came painted black from the factory.

Kez

Reaction score
Excellent, thanks!! Glad to hear that since I really do think it looks better that way. On my car, the chrome surround (trunk lid molding and small end pieces on each rear fender) were also masked and painted half black/ half chrome. Will try and get you some pictures if I can find them. THe masking job for the paint on the chrome was not as carefully done, so it almost appears that was done later, but not certain. How did yours come from factory? You are a lucky man to drive one of these from new and still have it!

Back