• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No oil pressure while priming engine

bullet18

Reaction score
Im priming my 400 based 512 stroker and not getting any oil pressure while spinning the drill. Its making like a squelching noise while i do it. Do i need to turn the engine over while priming it to get oil to the sensor like with the rockers?

pschlosser

Reaction score
If you're willing to pull your valve covers, you can see how well, if at all, it's oiling. If it's oiling, you may have a pressure sending unit problem.

Last edited:

bullet18

Reaction score
Ive pulled a valve cover i havent gotten amy oil out yet but i havent. Im gonna pull the intake and valley pan to see whats making the noises.

bullet18

Reaction score
No leaks anywhere? No extra valley plugs in your rebuild kit? And, of course, you put oil in it, right? ;)
No visible leaks. Had a shop rebuild the bottom end. And yes i put 7 qts in my 7 qt pan lol.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the engine does't have to rotate to reach the pressure sender , if it is electric does the guage move if you ground the wire with t he key on ?

bullet18

Reaction score
the engine does't have to rotate to reach the pressure sender , if it is electric does the guage move if you ground the wire with t he key on ?
Im not actually getting a number at all it just says low. Ill check it.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I would definitely put a mechanical gauge in the system to make sure your getting good pressure. When priming engine with drill, at least 1/2" drill, when first starting drill is fast and when pressure starts building drill slows down. Seeing pressure on a mechanical gauge should give you a sigh of relief. Even to test, pull out gauge sender and put mechanical gauge in that opening. When pressure is seen then go back to electric gauge

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
There two different locations on the cam to get oil to the passenger rockers and driver side rockers.Rotate crank until you find one then the other.

bullet18

Reaction score
Ok so im getting pressure to the lifters, just need to turn it over till i get pressure to the rockers. Ill get a mechanical oil pressur gauge for testing. Also ive got aftermarket billet 1.7 ratio rockers that are harder to tell when they're getting oil. I probably won't have time to work on it till Wednesday.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If you prelubed the engine properly while assembling it & you know you have oil pressure just fire it up , the rockers will survive 10 seconds while the oil fills the rocker shafts .

bullet18

Reaction score
80 lbs with the drill on a mechanical oil pressure tester from hf. Awesome! I might go down from 20w50 vr1 racing oil to 15 or 10w40.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Now that you know you have good oil pressure you can sleep nights again. Nothing like a mechanical gauge to prove what's going on.

bullet18

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good break in oil for the engine?

Back