• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No power to the dash, but to starter

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Car was rewired 5 years ago with the engine bay wiring hidden. So it's not stock. Battery is in the trunk. I got power to the starter but none to the dash. 1st it wouldn't turn over and the headlights and dash gauges got power.. The starter relay is behind the gauges so I pulled the gauges out to access it and now I got no power to the gauges. None to the starter relay either. There is a larger red wire with a small grey wire running thru the trans tunnel to the starter. If you short the tow starter spins. Red line has power but grey does not. So where does the power come into the dash. Does the red power line from the stater go to the steering column and then feeds the dash and the rest of the car?

sixpactogo

Reaction score
Without knowing how it was wired it will be tough to diagnose. Some people with a trunk mounted battery, use a solenoid to power the dash and accessories. If you have a solenoid, it could have failed or have a loose connection. With hidden engine bay wiring, who knows if they wired in a fusible link. I would start by checking to see if there is a solenoid mounted near the battery and go from there. Good luck!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
follow the dot and see where the power was tap into or cut and intercepted.or what was deleted.With out seeing It's hard to say just what is wrong. compare original diagram to what you have.I would check the battery terminal and cable connection. You can jump the starter relay with a wire. Sometime it's a simple thing clean all connections. 5 years what could possible go wrong?!
E BODY ACC BATT ALT WIRES dots.jpg

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
1:RED wire 16 Battery power yellow dot to splice one feeds fuse block, 2:charge wire 18 black wire blue dots to splice one through amp meter to red wire blue dot 16 to battery, 3:ACC feed from splice 1 Red wire Q3_12R yellow dot to steering column. Black wire 12BK red dot to ACC side of fuse box.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Thanks. I have the wire chart and gone crazy trying to follow it. But I have found a junction behind the ashtray in the dash that the red wire from the starter goes to. While pulling and trying to figure out what wire went where I discovered the connection where they come from thru the floor board was loose. Wire just pulled out. So I pushed it in and got power. So I need to replace this connection with one that will stay together. But I am not getting the starter to turn over unless I short the power wire to the ground for the starter selinoid. I am thinking the starter relay maybe bad. How do I check it? Its in the dash and a little difficult to get to. The shop must have done all this then put the dash in because there is very little room for my big hands. I can't find the starter relay on this chart? I am guessing the 12Y coming off the iginition switch is the wire to ground on the starter relay? Is that correct?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If you have the stock starter relay.Green wire terminal has to be grounded yellow wire terminal you connect to the battery side.To test put a test light on the starter side. ground the test light. Try the key or jump the relay as discribed.

mopar starter-relay.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If you have the stock starter relay.Green wire has to be grounded yellow wire you connect to the battery side.

Attachments

• starter_motor_relay 2.jpg
    starter_motor_relay 2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 106

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Yeah! this is still the blind leading the blind. I have an idea what you are taking about.This is the engine wiring. It's a little easier to see. The starter circuit.no matter how it's routed it still works the same.

engine wiring hemi.jpg

Last edited:

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Where did you get this?

There's a watermark in the bottom right corner that says, SEEN ON E-Bodies.org

Back