• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No Spark

MoparCraig

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me into the forum, I used to be a Dart owner but I just bought a non-running 1972 Challenger and its not getting any spark to the plugs. It is a 340 with automatic transmission and I have replaced the ballast resister, coil, ignition control module and battery. It cranks like it should but I found when cranking I am only getting 6.8 volts across the coil contacts and only 4.2 volts with the key in the run position. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Start checking connections , the firewall bulkhead & the connector at the base of the column , you must have a corroded or loose connection there or a bad ign switch , you need 12v cranking , 7v running at the coil .

Welcome to the site too !

MoparCraig

Reaction score
Start checking connections , the firewall bulkhead & the connector at the base of the column , you must have a corroded or loose connection there or a bad ign switch , you need 12v cranking , 7v running at the coil .

Welcome to the site too !
Bulkhead and connector look good, I am wondering if the pickup coil in the distributor is bad. I have read online that you must remove the distributor to replace it but looking at it it seems that I could replace it without removing the distributor or am I missing something?

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome! That’s about all that’s left (unless a new part is bad) cap and rotor inspection? if you haven’t.

MoparCraig

Reaction score
Welcome! That’s about all that’s left (unless a new part is bad) cap and rotor inspection? if you haven’t.
After I installed the module and it still didn't start I pulled it out and took it back to Autozone and they put it on their tester and confirmed that it is good. Cap and rotor look to be brand new.

Last edited:
Back