• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Non AC dash pad to AC?

DrEamer

Reaction score
I just wanted to know what is need to convert a non AC dash pad to a AC unit. I am planning on putting in a Vintage Air system, but do not like the under dash unit. My thoughts are to put in a factory AC dash, and plum the hoses the original vent if possible.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I asked that question a few years ago and the answer I got was that it would be expensive to get the dash vents operational. Call them before you go any further to make sure it's doable. I never put air in my Cuda, didn't think the Hemi could stand the heat.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
My 3 speaker dash project...

See photo in post #18 of my dash project thread. I don't believe you need an AC dash frame. I think they already have holes cut for vents. See rear view above glove box. This frame is non AC.

You will need to cut the dash pad, but I'd be really careful if the dash pad is in good condition.

DrEamer

Reaction score
I looked at the back of my dashes and it does indeed appear to have the holes cut out in the metal where the vents should go. I did call vintage air a while ago, but they where not the most helpful. The sales rep told me to go talk to my local dealer. as far as the price, I need a dash pad anyway, and a AC dash cost the same as a non-AC. The real cost is if I try to use OE vents. The price for those, if you can find them in nice shape, is pricey to say the least. The only option would then try to use some the optional Vintage Air sells, and put them in the stock locations. Since my car is a resto-mod, it would not be a bad choice. I just need to find a set of factory vents to measure to see if they have something that fits.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Classic Auto Air are very helpful they always reply to my emails They do full perfect fit kits that are designed to be used in non air conditioned cars. Check out their website there is photos and info looks like their system uses the standard dash vents.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that the under dash vents from Vintage work better with their system. When you use the stock dash, they use round hoses that have to be attached to Chryslers rectangular vents. It is hard to get the hoses to seal and you loose air flow. Since the hoses are flexible tubing, you loose some air flow with the hoses also.

DrEamer

Reaction score
After a little more research guided by some of the comments here, I am inclined to go with the standard kit, but put the vents in the smaller individual below dash holders. That will keep everything clean looking, and avoid the the big housing below the dash that I really do not like.

aussiemark

Reaction score
You could use an original set up on the inside, and go modern in the engine compartment.
Classic Auto Air do kits with all the engine bay parts including a modern rotary sunden compressor that can handle higher rpm then the std rv2 piston compressor and all the seals and hoses allow you to use R314a gas. I'd go all out and get the complete kit with the evaporator, bolts in where the heater box is (no ugly under dash unit)

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my AC completed. My inside dash is all stock and refurbished. I designed my own under the hood system. An automotive AC system is not rocket science. You purchase the items that you need to build the system and then assemble. I bought all of the items off of eBay, mocked up the lines, installed the dryer, the compressor, the condenser, had the lines crimped vacuumed it down, it held vacuum and I serviced it with 134. I have a little over $600 under the hood in materials. You do have to have the tools to service it and understand what you are doing, but if you want you can assemble you system and take it to an AC shop, have them service it. Any question just post here.

Azmoparboy
20180602_104217.jpg

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi, just took these pic's of the system all complete, and clamped down. Also if you would like to see my Challenger, I am the featured member on my car club at www.moparsaz.com/.
20180706_100103.jpg
20180706_100138.jpg

Last edited:

DrEamer

Reaction score
Vintage air.jpg
Classic air.jpg
N Air.jpg
Classic Auto Air do kits with all the engine bay parts including a modern rotary sunden compressor that can handle higher rpm then the std rv2 piston compressor and all the seals and hoses allow you to use R314a gas. I'd go all out and get the complete kit with the evaporator, bolts in where the heater box is (no ugly under dash unit)

I like the Vintage Air System mostly because of the fly by wire controls. Also, I can buy everything in pieces to make it fit my Challenger. The first picture shows the vent system that comes with Vintage Air non A/C unit. The second is the vents that come with the Classic Air set up. The Classic Air vents remind me of something that might be found on a General Motors vehicle. The last picture is a smaller vent offered by Nostalgic Air, they offer some other options that I might consider as well.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Any of those vent will look very nice in the challenger. At the end of the day when your system is all installed, it's your car, make it just the way you want it, that's what is so much fun about this hobby.

Good luck,

Jim k

Reaction score
I’m considering putting aftermarket air in my non a/c 73 cuda. I am thinking because it is a manual steering car with only 1 belt I would probably have to change the crank pully to a dual belt pully. Correct ?

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi Jim K, if you are installing a Sanden style pump, I have seen single belt, double belt, and serpentine belt set up on Google search. Adding another belt for accessories such as power steering and AC, you need to have a multiple crank pulley set up. You can find a pulley on the enternet somewhere, do a search.

Hope this helps,
Azmoparboy

Back