• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil pressure gauge

llane

Reaction score
Hi, my oil pressure switch on my car goes to full pressure its a 74 challenger with a 318. I replaced the oil pressure sensor still the same. I think it might be the guage and i heard they had some issues. I traced the wire back as far as i could but it disappeared into a bundle of wires and couldn't seem to find it in the harnesses. Any input would be appreciated as it is important guage to work.
Thanks in advance.

llane

Reaction score
it is a rally cluster but not exactly like the one you have on the link
it's the one with four of them together the charging is on the bottom the fuel its on the top and the oil pressure is on the sides and the other side is the temperature 20150322_195211.jpg

20150322_195211.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Those are not the correct, original oil pressure or water temp gauges for the cluster. It probably didn't come original on the car either. Did you just buy the car or just change out the gauges ?
Here is the correct oil gauge http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1974-C...NEW-Mopar-/371272769745?fits=Model:Challenger
And here is the water temp gauge http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1974-E...NEW-Mopar-/151623632996?fits=Model:Challenger
and correct oil pressure switch http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1974-D...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f8c5ab11&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

llane

Reaction score
Wow, crap did not notice that. Bought the car last June and that was in it.
Thanks that might explain a lot. Guess that would be a good place to start.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Does the fuel gauge work? It looks like a voltage limiter went out and took the gauges with it. They put in what they could find at the time.

llane

Reaction score
all the gauges work this is the only thing on the entire car the dosent. I'm going to take it out first chance I get put in the proper ones
Thanks everybody for all your help.

moparleo

Reaction score
Just giving you the heads up. One thing that was poorly lacking on the old muscle cars was the electrical system. Even a new reproduction wiring harness will have the same short commings. The alternators of old were like 45-60 amps. Now electrical demand with new stereos and big speakers require much more current than the old wiring was designed for, 150 amps and more ! So it gets overloaded and melts or burns. Many dash fires have happened on stock systems and not knowing what is hiding behind the gauge cluster would scare me. At the very least you should carry a dry chemical fire extinguisher in the car.

Back