• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Old geezer doing 5.7 Hemi swap into 73 Challenger

Tom Frost

Reaction score
I have a 2011 5.7 eagle hemi out of a Dodge Durango. I am installing in a 73 Challenger using stock Mopar injection, MDS delete and Comp 220/230 cam and beehive lifter. Hoping to use Jeep SRT exhaust or TTi headers if needed. Using a non computer built 904 trans mated with Bouchillon flexplate and Mancini Racing motor mounts (already purchased).

Looking for 400-425 hp. Weekend cruiser/ not a drag car.

budascuda

Reaction score
Hey Tom, sounds like you are building a nice cruiser, good luck.
Since you mentioned 904 trans. , so these things are strong enough for the job? I have a 904 that was "given" to me and was debating if a 727 is better?

Tom Frost

Reaction score
If you are going for a build that you'll be driving aggressively quire often I'd go with the 727. My friend, Kenny Ford is a big drag guy and owner of PTC torque convertors here locally. He says if built properly with HD components a 904 will handle 600-700 HP easily. Based on his input, and the way I'll use the car (plus the fact I already had the 904) I just had it build it. I hope it'll handle the power...it should or I'll have one less advisor. hahaha

At my age I'll only hammer it when I pull up next to a rice burner. lol

May even go with a carb to get the old school lope I love to hear.

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Here's my paint scheme.
Concept.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome from Arkansas! Can’t wait to see it come together. Cool paint scheme too.

moparleo

Reaction score
This site has a "New Hemi Swap" forum with these types of posts. Post your pictures and parts used as you go so other members might benefit. A lot of people doing the Gen III conversions now a days and many different ways to do it. Good luck.

Back