• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Original Tires

acmeab

Reaction score
I need some help determining what tires came on my unrestored 70 Barracuda. The spare tire seems to be original and has a date code just prior to the cars build date. The tire is a Goodyear Custom Power Cushion Polyglass dual whitewall in an E78-14. The broadcast sheet under TUV states T26 which I think means E78-14 wsw. Under wheels it has Road 61,
color TX9 which I believe is black, and spare 16. Finally under WHCOV it has 21 which I believe is 14" Rallye wheel.

Any help would be appreciated.

moparleo

Reaction score
If you are looking for the exact Brand and model... The spare seldom matches the 4 on the ground as they were mounted elsewhere and the spare rim is a standard wheel, not a Road or Rallye.
There were also more then 1 tire vendor. Could have been Goodyear but could have been others as well.
The door jamb sticker should give the O.E. tire info size wise but not whether they were a standard bias ply tire or a bias belted.
T26 only designates an E78 x 14 WSW, not a belted tire.
The belted tires were generally an upgrade back then.
3 digit date code back then, Week and Year manufactured. Must be before the cars production date.

acmeab

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. You pretty much confirmed what I thought. I knew the spare rim wouldn't match the ones on the ground but didn't know the tire wouldn't match. The spare is date coded just prior to the build date so odds are it's original.
Does the T26 refer to the spare, road or both.
Can you confirm that the W21 is 14" rallye wheel.

Thanks

moparlee

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. You pretty much confirmed what I thought. I knew the spare rim wouldn't match the ones on the ground but didn't know the tire wouldn't match. The spare is date coded just prior to the build date so odds are it's original.
Does the T26 refer to the spare, road or both.
Can you confirm that the W21 is 14" rallye wheel.

Thanks
Yes, W21 is a 14" Rallye Wheel.

On my '71 Challenger with T87 F70x14 RWL tires and W21 wheels, the spare was the same tire but with a black steel rim. But I don't know if the same holds true for the T26 tires.

Back