• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Other motor choices

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The 93 up Magnum s basically a bolt in with a different oil pan , Gen 3 Hemi was the next engine used by the production line .
I suppose you could drop in an GM LS , but why , no one else would want the car if you ever wanted to sell as GM guys would not want the body & Mopar guys wouldn't want the engine . if you never plan to sell & want an LS go for it . I assume a Ford coyote could be fitted also .

340challconvert

Reaction score
I picked up a 408 stroker Magnum short block for future use from Summit. All rebuilt with internal balance components and ready to add the top end. Paid $2600. A forged crank version is available for $300 more. It bolts up to my 727 A trans and k frame and can be used with a variety of head/valve train components. An easy modern motor install!

Drivun

Reaction score
i also endorse the 5.9 Magnum. Mine was stroked to 406 and puts out 460hp and 530tq. Done two long hauls on Power Tour.
Light weight esp with aluminum heads. Uses LA front dress. Lots of room. Common parts. Roller cam and improved oiling. stock iron heads have cracking problem between valves easily avoided with aftermarket heads. Can add fuel injection although I personally don’t see enough benefit on a toy car given cost incl fuel tank.
Mine was custom built by a local builder but based on 35000 miles and 10 longhauls on their 383 Chevy stroker, I’d go with Blueprint anyday. Bought their 306 for my fox mustang. They weren’t doing roller cammed magnums when mine was built.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Pic of the 408 stroker small block I picked up!

1647795417697.png

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
What cam is going in it? The way things are going $2600 is a steal. a set of head and that seems like a good cheap build. any kind of motor from a salvage yard they want you arm.

jkling1974

Reaction score
I know about the magnum but it’s takes some changes still I was more wanting to know about a bolt in v6 modern motor like gen 3 hemi . Gen 3 are still way to hard to find and way to expensive. Wondering if modern v6 motor had same motor mounts and bolt pattern as the gen 3 hemi does or not .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere about bolting a AX15 5 sp to a LA block. I think you had to use the flywheel off the AX 15 setup.Don't quote me on that. Or was it a Toyota transmission.

jkling1974

Reaction score
Do you mean like a dodge 3.9 or 3.7 you want to put in?
Either lol . Just looking at possibly options but not full on custom thing. Gen 3 bolt almost right in with motor mounts and trans adapter to 727 with not much else . Wondering can the v6 bolt to same place ? Is bolts yo trans the same ? I mean they offer both options in challengers and stuff yeah ?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Exploring options with cylinder heads; want to maintain a mechanical fuel pump and will need a hydraulic roller cam with the long snout.
Not looking for 500 hp. Cam with specs close to the 340 specs with a slight increase in performance would be great. Looking at comp high energy roller cam #20-810-9, RPM range of 1400-5500. Advertised as 268-276 duration and .535/.531 lift with 1.5 rockers. (110 separation). Wanted to maintain stock exhaust.
The next step up (20-811-9) prefers a 2200 stall converter and headers with 3:55 and lower gears. I have 3:55's already and the stock converter has a stall speed of 2250-2450. I could go up the one notch and have a good combination. Still exploring my options on this!
Heads with a 63cc chamber would give me about a high 9.5 compression ratio with this engine,
What cam is going in it? The way things are going $2600 is a steal. a set of head and that seems like a good cheap build. any kind of motor from a salvage yard they want you arm.

jkling1974

Reaction score
penstar vs hemi . im seeing they both take same transmission. But this post says they have very different bolt patterns. how is that possible ? are motor mounts same for Hemi and penstar ? if they both came in a challengers it seems they would but confused on what trans id need.

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
Good choice. I built a 408 LA - Scat bottom kit, Eddy ported heads, Hughes Whiplash hyd roller. I puts out 550 hp without even breathing hard. LAs and Magnums think 408 is a magic number.

408_resized.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The trans could be the same basic design & parts but use a different case for the different engines

jkling1974

Reaction score
It seems that must be the case . Stupid though lol. Now to think of I took the penastar with the trans that’s on it and shove both in my duster or challenger . I think they are great motors and smaller and 300 lbs lights and cheaper and waaaaaay more readily available than hemis. If I can get it to work I think it’s a great swap idea for old mopars .

heminut

Reaction score
Gen 3 bolt almost right in with motor mounts and trans adapter to 727 with not much else .
The Gen 3 doesn't require an adapter to bolt a torqueflite to it, just the proper flexplate. I did my swap in 2008 and bolted a smallblock 727 right up to it. It's been working just fine for 14 years now. No adapter!

Back