• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

overhaulin' 70 Barracuda last night

Bill

Reaction score
One word. "Hollywood". We had Hollywood come up to our neck of the woods here in northern New England a few years back to do an "Extreme Makeover" for a family that had a child with a cancer. The story was great for the "show". Made you want to cry. An awesome house was built for this family in a weeks time while the the family was sent to Disney World in Florida. Our company donated a lot of HVAC and plumbing stuff for the project. Long story short, within a few years the family could not afford to heat the place in the winter, could not afford the upkeep of the house and most of all they could not afford the high taxes for this very large and very nice house that was built for them. Unfortunately the family had to file for bankruptcy (again) and move out to a house that suited their income (or lack of) a little better. (Someone told me that sometime I always look at a glass of water being 1/2 "empty")

I'm with you, I hate fooses designs. I could render circles around him. He picks non factory one off colors that would be near impossible to match if something happened to it. Wheels that are so huge and chrome that it kills performance... The only thing and I mean the only thing good about the show is that it helps these people get a car running that would ordinarily rot to pieces and never get running.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I remember that show. Too bad things worked out the way it did.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Wasn't this the one that was originally black & the one thing they specified was they wanted it black , could you not atleast follow that one wish ??

David B

Reaction score
I know that I'm extremely late coming to the party, but if Foose was to restore any project to original then his program would be called Graveyard Cars II. You don't go to a designer to rebuild something that has already been designed. The owner seemed completely happy with what was done to her car including the color and I am sure that it has not been repainted black. Leaving cars original is OK for show judging or resale but for daily drivers and heirloom vehicles personal preferences should be the primary consideration. Why do people buy old cars? Not for the gas mileage nor for the technology but to have a unique set of wheels personalized to the owner's specifications. Whatever it takes for the owner to maintain interest and pride of ownership. This keeps the car repaired and driving not rusting in the driveway. I am on my 2nd purple and white 1970 Barracuda. The first one I purchased new in 1970 and sold in 78. Even back in 1970 my Barracuda did not remained stock very long. I changed what I could afford on a 19 year old's budget to insure it was different from any other.

IRON MAN

Reaction score
Foo-Foo Foose is over-rated. My Challenger shares a garage with a 68 AMX "Go Pac" 390. Foose tried to customize an AMX and it turned out to be gross. Foose had no clue what was acceptable. The AMC forum members through him under the bus.

David B

Reaction score
It was quite acceptable to the owner and he is the only one who counts. Besides anything you do to an AMX is an improvement. Lipstick, pig etc.

IRON MAN

Reaction score
It was quite acceptable to the owner and he is the only one who counts. Besides anything you do to an AMX is an improvement. Lipstick, pig etc.
The American "Society of Automotive Engineers" named the AMX as the "Best engineered car of the year" in 1968 and 1970. Foose tried to undo that with his juvenile graphics, bling wheels and paint scheme.

Back