• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Passenger door just stopped opening from the inside !

Tim Lynch

Reaction score
My 1970 convertible challenger right inside door handle won’t open the door if the latch goes to the full latch position. Still opens with the outside handle .Worked last time I used it and then nothing.No play in the rod to the latch ,suggestions? The striker has good alignment and door hinges are good .Thanks Tim

pschlosser

Reaction score
You may have to pull the door panel and inspect operation of the rod to figure out what's up. I suspect there is an issue at the latch, itself, where the inner and outer rods come together and actuate the latch.

If you still cannot figure it out, some pics or a short video of the area may help others diagnose.

Tim Lynch

Reaction score
Door panel off , the rod has full travel,so I will pull latch assembly and see what I can find,thanks !!The car only has 61k original miles, Tim

pschlosser

Reaction score
The inside rod pushes on a lever at the latch. the same lever (more or less) as the outer rod. Watching that, operate the inner and the outer to see if the travel of that level is the same. I'm betting its not. I know the outer lever (i have one I can sell) can be adjusted (its length) by bending it, unsure of the inner tho. lemme go look on my car, as the panel is off.

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Obviously without pulling the door panel off the inside we can't be sure what's going on. I did a full rotisserie restoration on my 73 Challenger so I had every part off and disassembled. I found that the passenger inside door handle mechanism was worn to the point of almost not functioning. See attached picture. This seemed strange to me because the drivers side that gets a lot more cycles was OK. I had to drill out the pins, make a new link and 2 new pins, then reassemble and swage pins back in place. You can see in the picture how the hole in the old link was almost worn through.

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Old link and pins. Pin was almost worn through also

20220924_150953small.jpg

20220925_124845small.jpg

Back