• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pertonix ingnition

drewkins

Reaction score
Im looking to put the pertronix ignitior 3 with flamethrower coil in my 1970 318 barracuda. I was wondering if there is anything that i would need to know when installing it like colder spark plugs or any potential issues or FYI's regarding the upgrade. thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
not really , I have had reliability issues with Pertronics ign system in the past hopefully yours will be reliable .
Make SURE the Pertronics is connected to the blue 13v wire at the ballast resister Not the + coil terminal [8v] connecting to the coil + Terminal Is Wrong & will damage the Pertronics

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have also had problems...twice. I never have had problems with Chryslers ignition. I have orange boxes that are 30 yrs. old and work fine. Although I understand the new ones aren't as reliable. It is true. All good things come to an end or are made in China.

Last edited:

Yatzee

Reaction score
There is one mod that every one should pursue and that's getting rid of that damn ballast resister ( or leave it there
for posterity's sake ) and replace it with the new breed that has it built in. MSD, Mallory and maybe even Pertronic's
make them. As a bonus they usually sport 50 - 60,000 volts output and are near bullet proof.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm using the pertronix on two of my cars with no problems to date. The improvement over the original points systems in both cars was substantial and they both appear completely stock under the hood. I gutted the resistors and hard wired them in order to keep them in place and went with the flamethrower coils. I've got about 5K trouble free miles on the one in my Challenger and probably 2K miles on the one in my Imperial. $140 for each including the coils and am very pleased with the performance And I just went with the original Ignitor system.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Maybe the Pertronix is different than when Chryco and I used them. I used them when they first came out.

Back