• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Plan of Attack

booyaballer

Reaction score
Looking for some advise/recommendation on the plan of attack for my 70 Challenger. What order should I do the following:
- change to manual 4 speed transmission (not sure if i have know how to do myself)
- upgrade front suspension to Hotchkis TVS (i've already upgraded rearend)
- new carpet/soundeadning
- redo electrical
- change to disc brakes (probably Willwood)
- new 15" or larger wheels
- add Air Conditioning

Thank for the feedback!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If the electrical is bad, I would do it first. All the other work would be for nothing if the car burns up.

sportster2000

Reaction score
Pretty much did all of that to my 74. You really have to love these cars and love working on them to do it. I am questioning my love for my car because of all of the broken parts I am finding on it, but I am so close to being done with it that now it is a race to the finish.

3406pk

Reaction score
When you redo electrical, I would recommend bypassing the ammeter. Run a #10 or #8 wire from alternator to battery stud on starter relay. Include a fusible link in the wire too. This is a safety mod to reduce possible fire from bad connection on bulkhead connectors. This is the MAD method discussed on FABO.

moparleo

Reaction score
First you need a budget. How much $$ do you have ? How long are you willing to park/not use your car ? Most items will need to be done with other items and not separately . You didn't tell us the engine size. Electrical options that the car has. I am guessing drums but are they power ? Also guessing 14" rim size. The more detailed the question, the more correct the answer. What is your skill level ? Tool availability ? Any help ? Service manuals ? Area to work in and store parts in ?

Adam

Reaction score
Good advice from Challenger6pak & 3406pk, the ammeter is a fire hazard. Plus if you are going to upgrade to a/c you should upgrade the electrical first, right...

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im looking for some advice on an electrical matter. I just installed a dash reverse indicator light. I was told to connect the wire of the indicator light to the pigtail on the backup light switch wire harness. The problem is the indicator light comes on when I turn the headlights on, whether or not the car is in reverse. Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks, Sergio

Adam

Reaction score
Do the reverse tail lights come on when you turn on the headlights? If so, you need to trace the reverse light wires to find the source; if not, then your dash reverse indicator is wired to the wrong source.

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. The reverse lights only come on when the car is in reverse, whether or not the headlights are on, which appears they are working correctly. The dash indicator light only has one wire and it is connected to the pigtail of the backup light switch wire harness. Do you think maybe the pigtail is wired wrong to the harness? Do you know which of the two wires coming out of the backup light switch harness should the pigtail be wired to? I appreciate your assistance. Sergio

Adam

Reaction score
Some of those pigtails behind the radio/ashtray look similar. I would put it in reverse, ignition on, but not running, and probe the pigtails with a meter or light, etc. looking for the one that is hot, but goes out when you push it into neutral. As I recall my connector was orange, possibly yellow.

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
The pigtail that I'm referring to is actually attached to the new backup light switch harness I recently installed. The main harness connector is plugged into the main electrical connector that is located on the firewall in the engine bay. The indicator light has one wire and it is plugged into the pigtail coming off of the harness near the plug.

Back