• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

please help car broke down

mopar70

Reaction score
I was driving to the us from Canada and my car overheated and turned off. I let it cool but it was still hot and when I start it it runs for 2 seconds backfires and turns off. I need to get the car back home I can't leave it parked there.

mopar70

Reaction score
I'm going back in a couple hours its only a 25 min drive and going to pull out the thermostat only if it fires up now that its cool.

mopar70

Reaction score
Well got it towed back to Canada and will update you guys when I hear whats wrong with it. It would fire up for a bit and then I have to give it gas to keep it running and it would backfire really loud and turn off.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I just ran into this same senerio with a Chevy today. It was overheated. I am guessing the rings started to "stick" to the cylinder walls. The timing chain was an older one and it jumped time. It ran just like you are explaining. Let us know what you find.

moper

Reaction score
Yeah - if it pegged and shut off the rings are toast at minimum. My guess is it's also got a guide issue or overheated valve(s) now too. Glad you got it home - but I'd prepare to pull it apart. The rings get overheated and lose the tension - at minimum that's what you have althought high temps mean a lot of thigns change shape and can be damaged.

mopar70

Reaction score
Fried the petronics and put a new one in runs fine now working on getting it too run cooler.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Glad you are getting it figured out. What are you running for a radiator?

mopar70

Reaction score
Motor runs great now but I got a big wiring mess the alternator doesn't charge the battery. Also there's a wire that moves around and then dosen't send power to the distributor so it misses. Drove it home from the shop all my lights and stuff died at least it still ran.

mopar70

Reaction score
Also seems like when I'm in first and punch it I got lag in till it gets going. Before the tune it would burnout in first for a while.

Back