• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Power steering pump cooler

merkamp

Reaction score
Found a company that makes a power steering pump cooler for a 70 aar cuda

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
Why a P/S pump cooler anyway?
Trying to go resto, or do mopars need them?
Only one ford I had used one and no GMs that I have had so far. Are they needed for mopars?
TIMINATOR

Cuda_mark

Reaction score
I believe it was based on the gear ration that the car came with. 3.54 rear end or higher ratios got them. I could be wrong though

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
What does the rear end gear ratio have to do with power steering? Doesn't it have to do with a quick reaction steering ratio, or assuming it would be used in a road racing circuit. Maybe those cars had the low rear end gears? What am I missing?

Steve340

Reaction score
With the lower rear ratios the engine spins faster at any given road speed. This spins the power steering pump faster possibly overheating the power steer fluid.

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
Well then how do I figure out what if any damage has been done to my Duster with the 4.30 gears and 3000 stall convertor in the last 26 years of driving it here in Phoenix,AZ. where it gets to 115 degrees every summer? What should I check? The fluid smells fine...
I Would think that a cooler would be on a car sold here and not on a car in a cooler climate that just has a bit more gear.
I just think I am not gonna put one on my new build Challenger and see what happens.
TIMINATOR

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
With the lower rear ratios the engine spins faster at any given road speed. This spins the power steering pump faster possibly overheating the power steer fluid.
Okay, that would make sense - thanks. I'd think they would put a different size pulley on the pump to slow it down, but a cooler would be simpler instead of having various pulley sizes maybe.

Steve340

Reaction score
If they slowed the pump down there may have been little or no power steering while the engine was idling.

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
My 72 p/s, p/b,a/c big block Chevelle had underdrive crank pulleys, and both the a/c and p/s worked fine. It did have 3.73 gears and a 3000 stall though. No issues at idle in a parking lot at all.
TIMINATOR

Back