• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Progress on Todd's 71 Challenger

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
I live in North Central Mass.

Started as a 318/904 car. Will become a 340/727 car to be painted the lime greet and an R/T clone. Tips and Suggestions welcome. I have the motor and tranny all ready to go.

Converted drums to disc in the front. Rear is a FORD 9" 4:11. I will need a new driveshaft. New A Arms and whole front suspension.

Challenges:
THICK undercoating to get off (preserved much of the underneath).
Some rust in certain spots but not terrible. Only bad area was the rear right frame rail.

Todd Jackson

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

Challenger3.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I just saw this post after posting on your welcome thread.
Small suggestion, re-install the undercoating. Since it preserved
the car so well in the past 50 years it will help it along for the next 50.
Can you post your fender tag, I like to decode tags.
As I mentioned in the other thread, i'm interested in those v5x moldings if your not putting them back on the fj5/FJ6 color.

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
I just saw this post after posting on your welcome thread.
Small suggestion, re-install the undercoating. Since it preserved
the car so well in the past 50 years it will help it along for the next 50.
Can you post your fender tag, I like to decode tags.
As I mentioned in the other thread, i'm interested in those v5x moldings if your not putting them back on the fj5/FJ6 color.

Here is the tag....what are the moldings you speak of?
Todd

IMG_2277.JPG

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
V5x are the black moldings that run the center line of the car on the side. They are what protect the car from other door dings.
Usually they don't get put back on. And torn up during the removal process. V5x is what is on your tag but your not going back with GK6 autumn bronze metallic.
If your making your interior black instead of the tan that is on the tag I would be more than happy to work with you on the saddle tan colored parts as well. Instead of you painting/dying them black

fk5aar

Reaction score
Nice car, never seen a bumble bee and a spoiler before...I’m guessing the stripe came first

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
V5x are the black moldings that run the center line of the car on the side. They are what protect the car from other door dings.
Usually they don't get put back on. And torn up during the removal process. V5x is what is on your tag but your not going back with GK6 autumn bronze metallic.
If your making your interior black instead of the tan that is on the tag I would be more than happy to work with you on the saddle tan colored parts as well. Instead of you painting/dying them black

Yea I will most likely take the V5x moldings off. I like the clean look. The front seats are from a Charger....not even E body buckets. I have a set of black buckets ready to go. Do you have black interior panels you want to swap? I also have a console with slapstick. The existing console looks like one from a Charger as well....I can send a pick later.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
As far as driveshaft goes, i just ordered 1 from action machine. It was ordered on monday and at my door that friday. $340.71. Shipping included. Good to 700 hp. Great company to deal with. Good luck with your resto.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I'm sure I can come up with a set depending on what your after.
One way or the other I'd be into those moldings. PM me.

regardless I'm here to watch your restoration thread.

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Engine Bay Progress....looking for ideas to patch the areas around the wiper motor....don't want to rip out the entire fire wall. I am on a budget like all of us....any ideas???

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Your going to have to form your own pieces there.
Or you find someone with a parts cuda and purchase just that part cut off the firewall.
I think you have to buy the whole firewall from AMD. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can't find just the WW motor section alone.

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
I have my engine bay and front frame rails coming along down to bare metal. I was planning to do a POR 15 treatment on everything including the K Frame, then have it painted. Thoughts on this approach? TJ

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Don't do it. Por15. opinion of course.
I've had rust issues under por15.
I know, I know, musta been a non cleaned surface under there right.

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
2 good days while off work. Engine Bay stripped. And ripped out the interior as well and all carpets. Floors are an B+. Need about 5 patches the size of my hand....

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

Back