• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Project car requirements

Bullit

Reaction score
When you buy a project car. Are there any requirements? I mean, is there a certain point from when you say that it isn't restorable anymore?

As example, when the body is completely rotten or something like that?

I dont know how to explain it properly, but I hope you all know what I mean :)

moparleo

Reaction score
The most important question is, do You think it is worth it. You have to ask yourself if you are doing it as an investment, eg...is it rare, collectible, valuable ? Are restoration parts available? Do you have the time, money and skills to do any of the work yourself or the disposable income to have a quality shop do the work for you. How much time are you willing to devote to the restoration. Probably 90% of the project started, never get done. Every one has their own idea on whether it is worth it or not , depends on what your expectations, or ultimate goal is.
Not easy to answer.. You have to make a commitment to the project. If you do complete your project, there is a satisfaction that is hard to match.
For encouragement, look at the restoration pictures on this site done by fellow members. Support is a great motivator, just like having a partner to run, or excersize with.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I always figure if the car is worth it. Right now I have a 73 Challenger here that is fully restorable. Everything it needs is available. The cost to restore the car if I do the work myself is around $12,000. Is the car worth restoring? IMO...no. I can buy one that is done cheaper.

moparleo

Reaction score
But isn't there more satisfaction from doing at least some of the work? A great stress reliever. You can't always measure the total worth of something in dollars & cents. We have a common thread in our love of Mopars. Any one can buy one but not everybody can appreciate one.

Bullit

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I know the feeling you described, when working on my audio projects and custom computer cases, but you can't compare this to restoring a car. I read most of the stories in the "members restoration" section, and was speechless. You worked years on your project, and the result is AWESOME.

So if I have understood you well, there is nothing you can't fix? Everything is repairable, but you have to put time and effort in it?

ramenth

Reaction score
So if I have understood you well, there is nothing you can't fix? Everything is repairable, but you have to put time and effort in it?

Depends on the skill level.

I've tackled projects that others had given up for dead. Back when Pop and I owned our restoration shop the biggest part of our business was restoration on vehicles for sentimental purposes. The car had been bought brand new by the owners dad, that car was bought brand new by the owner, the car belonged to some long deceased family member and sat around for decades... You get the idea. When sentimentality enters the ball game all monetary figures about what the cars are worth are off the table.

But buying a project car? Depends on the intended use of the car, what it needs, what the upfront cost is, how many years it might take to get there.

I have a few projects in the works right now with my nephew. Click on the '72 Duster and the '81 Cordoba in my signature. Read the stories on 'em when you get to the links. Look at the pictures. If he had wanted to buy 'em from someone else the biggest thing would have been cost. The second thing would be commitment.

But I see the potential in 'em. They can - and will be - brought back to life. I was watching my nephew, all of 16 years old, cutting spotwelds on a parts car yesterday with a grin from ear to ear. To me, his projects are teaching tools. Something with which I can pass on my knowledge, having no living children of my own. My dad did it for me. And still does when I need the help.

I guess a project just comes down to the end run. For me, any more, it's not always about the end run. It's about the journey to get there. Each goal I set myself on a project, rather it's helping the kid cut the parts car up, welding a certain piece together, getting it in primer, is a feeling of satisfaction as to what I accomplished today. Goals not met are frustrating. Parts not found are frustrating. Having the money and not the time or the time and not the money are frustrating. But when the goals are met there's a feeling of accomplishment. It's all part of the journey to get there.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
But isn't there more satisfaction from doing at least some of the work? A great stress reliever. You can't always measure the total worth of something in dollars & cents. We have a common thread in our love of Mopars. Any one can buy one but not everybody can appreciate one.
This is true. And it is why I choose my projects anymore. I have done a lot of cars that were just a loss of time and money. The older we get the more important both of these things are. If you are going to go to the effort of completely restoring a car, do one that has value. If you want a driver, pick a 318 car and fix it up however you want it to be.

I wanted to add that these have become my requirements. Everyone's requirements can be different for different reasons. Also, anyone who knows me, knows I don't look up or down at a car or it's owner due to the pedigree of the car. I feel the diversity in projects, wants and desires are what gives this hobby strength to continue. If everyone did the same thing or the same cars it would get boring.

Last edited:
Back