• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

putting viper brakes on E body

racChallenger340

Reaction score
I road race a 70 Challenger,need to upgrade the brakes, currently have 11 inch rotors solid, with large caliper. Have seen some partial conversion kits to use viper rotors. I think I will have to upgrade to 13 inch rotors. Mancini racing has a kit minus calipers. been searching the web for viper series 1 or 2 calipers, but no luck yet.
Anybody seen this or done this?
What about the rears, currently using GM metric calipers in the rear, and a manuel master from a late model dodge van.
any and all advice welcome
Bill
Snohomish, Wa.

racChallenger340

Reaction score
thanks for replying... aware of AR, they don't sell direct, have their kit on Mancini racing, but no calipers. Have found some used and rebuilt, prices vary widely, so hard to judge. I also talked to Cass at Doctor Diff, he has some possibilities, has a prototype viper caliper and 13" rotor for 1700-2000
HE THINKS MY FROM AND REAR CALIPER PISTON DIAMETERS ARE TOO CLOSE TO THE SAME SIZE. So I might not have enough pressure from my master cylinder.
My head is starting to spin, trying to understand the math.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If you go to CC.com into the tech / brakes section Brad did a whole conversion in a sticky thread there

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
You can buy new calipers on rockauto.com, but you will get hit with the core exchange. I have done the viper swap on my roadrunner, using the 11 3/4" rotors, not the big 13" rotors. I found a pair of used calipers on a viper site. Its been a long time so I do not remember exactly what site it was. Have you tried ebay? If you want to use viper rotors, I have a set (got with the calipers) that I didn't use, just PM me on them. I have some pics as well if you would like to see them.

racChallenger340

Reaction score
thanks for all the info, I think I'm gonna go with Dr diff kit. Uses 13"Mercedes rotor with gen 2 Viper calipers. He has both brembo and aftermarket calipers, big price difference. I'll have a price quote on Monday 1/9. Currently using a Mopar hub machined down to remove the rotor.. He's developing an aluminum hub but its monthes off, and I wanna race this year. He also sells a Mustang cobra kit for about half the money, but smaller braking area.
So I'll keep ya posted.

70challengerdane

Reaction score
i see youre from snohomish! i too am from snohomish, id love to see your challenger some day! i finally took mine down the street for the first time today but its still got a ways to go .

Back