• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Question on Door Ajar switches and Lamp over 3 position panel

BriceRoad

Reaction score
#1) If you drop down the panel over the instrument cluster that has the 3 lights that illuminate the gauges there is a 4th light in the left hand corner. I was putting my dashboard back together and I noticed this lamp. It is not on the same circuit as the other 3 lamps so I know it doesn't come on with the 3 lamps that light up the gauges. I don't recall ever seeing this light come on. Does anyone know when it is supposed to turn on? In looking at the factory service manual I am not sure if this bulb is supposed to be a 1445 or 1816. The bulb that was in the socket in my dashboard doesn't light up with 12 VDC. I am hoping if I replace the bulb it will work when I finish putting the car back together.

#2) I saw on GYC that on the Gran Coupe and SE models there is push button switch at the rear of each door that lights up the "Door Ajar" in the upper console. I think it would be really cool to get the overhead console to actually work. When I was at Carlisle there was a guy there who had a Gran Coupe Convertible (not one hardtop in the show-field). I asked him about the switches and if I could open the door. Of course the switches would not be there since there is no overhead console but surprisingly the holes were there. When I got home I checked my car and the holes were there as well but of course no switches. My question is has anyone ever seen what these switches look like? I assume they are not being reproduced and are probably quite rare but also not that desirable. Is there anything available that would be close to what the factory used that I could use in place of factory parts?

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
On #1) does the car have a light package? Not sure but that light may be on a time delay.

Regarding #2), here are some pictures of original Gran Coupe / SE door switches. There are no exact replacements out there that I know of but GM part#15674628 is close, comes out of a '90s Astro Van (last 2 pics).

4876336-switch2.jpg

4876342-switch1.jpg

4876926-plunger.jpg

GM Part #15674628 - Mid 80s Astro Van.jpg

GM.jpg

BriceRoad

Reaction score
EV2RTSE, Thank you very much for your response. That's really cool to see what they actually looked like. I will try to find those GM switches.

I agree with what you said about the light bulb. I have been thinking a lot about it after I posted this and I came up with the same thing. I (not totally sure but assuming) think that when you opened up the door that lamp lights up the switches which of course includes the headlight switch so you can turn on the lights.

Steve340

Reaction score
It does sound like the extra bulb is from the A01 package - I think it would have a Yellow wire.
This is on the delay circuit that is energised when the doors are opened.
The relay keeps this light and the steering column light on for around 20 seconds after the doors closed.
All the other interior lights go out when the doors close.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. That lamp does have a yellow wire. Thanks for the additional information.

For some reason my steering column does not have a lamp. Although my car was originally a 318 2-BBL/automatic it did have a console. The steering column has the lever for the reverse lockout so the column is from a '70.

Steve340

Reaction score
If you do not have the A01 group or the relay you could wire the lamp to the interior lights and it will go on and off when the doors open and close.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
That's a good idea. The broadcast sheet is long gone btu I checked the fender tag and it is coded for A01. I will have to check the relay and see if it works and install a new lamp. Thank you Steve.

Back