• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radio

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I bought my 72 challenger without a radio. I purchesed a factory radio but can't find the wires to connect it. I have pulled the instruments and can't find them. Any ideas?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
They were probably cut by a previous owner. You need a wiring diagram to trace them down. I only have a hard copy. Maybe someone has a digital copy they can post. I would tell you the wire colors but the copy is a half hour from where I am right now.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I have the wiring diagram. I have torn the driver side dash apart and all wires are intact. My only other option is from the a/c heater box side.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
They come out of the harness. It comes off of the fuse block at the firewall. I'll look at the diagram a little later for you.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Radio comes out of the fuse panel on the bottom right. It is in the #8 position. It should be an 18 gauge red stripe wire. I say should because it's color could have changed over the years. This wire feeds the turn signal flasher and the cluster lights. It ends in a plug that goes to the radios plug. Even if the color is different the position is the same. The factory radio uses the mounting bracket as the ground. The antenna also helps as your ground. If you have a factory wiring diagram look at the instument panel wiring and you will see the wires I am talking about.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
Found the connection for the radio. It was taped up in the wire bundle. Now Im looking for the speaker wires. If its not one thing its another.

Racer57

Reaction score
FYI.... The antenna needs to be hooked up for the radio to work.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I figured that. Cant find the speaker wires in the dash. Just going to run new ones.

Back