• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rallye Gauge Parts??

rebelcuda73

Reaction score
I need to replace the oil gauage in my 74 cudas rallye gauge set. Classic ind. sells one that says original for 80.00 ,and yearone sells one that says solid state for 125.00 . Which is better and do I need to change anything in order to use the one from yearone?? They are also selling a gauge limiter that says solid state is it better than the one that came with the gauge set originally. Trying figure out whats better for the long run. I've seen info stating that its better to install the new type of gauges. Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
I have had a Rally cluster rebuilt (almost $1000) and I have rebuilt one of my own, except for the speedo. I like the solid state voltage regulator and solid state tach kit from R-T engineering. The factory tachs can be quite inaccurate, and the little bi-metallic voltage regulator on the back of the cluster definitely needs replacing.. I also put in a new quartz clock movement, as the originals use contact points which burn and then stick together.. Of course you should change the fire hazard Ammeter too.. So as long as you are changing the oil gauge (either type is fine) you should upgrade the rest. The tach & clock kits are easy upgrades to your existing gauges; the ammeter, voltage regulator, and oil Gauge are simple replacements.. The upgrades are relatively inexpensive and easy if you have minimal skills and can follow the directions..

Last edited:

rebelcuda73

Reaction score
Thanks I was thinking the solid state was the way to. I also got rid of the regular voltage regulator and went with the new all in one firecore distributor which eliminates the reg,orange box and ballast. Thanks again!!

Racer57

Reaction score
If your original voltage limiter is good, do not throw it away. I had 2 different solid state ones go bad in less than 100miles for an as yet unknown reason. I made long leads and hooked the original one back up without having to take the dash back out.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Adam, where did you get your clock conversion? I've looked at a couple of places but they don't seem to mention the E-body clock specifically; when I hunt for that number I find a different one for E-bodies but (for some reason) only on eBay. I'd rather buy from an actual vendor than through eBay if I can.

Back