• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gas gauge replacement

greatscot3

Reaction score
Hello all

I've been having trouble with my gas gauge in a '74 Cuda (Rallye dash) and have tried a couple different things to troubleshoot and I'm starting to think it's the gauge.
I didn't have a ground strap on the new sender so I tried a few good known grounds on the sender suction tube and not even a twitch on the gauge.

Who would you guys buy an OEM style replacement gauge from and how difficult is it to access the gauges in a rallye instrument cluster?
Does the gauge cluster tilt forward from the dash? Or does the whole dash need to come off? I've never messed with one before.

Thanks for any info, Jon S.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Wish I knew exactly what you tried. Not even a twitch on the gauge, so no movement at all? Grounding the blue wire with the key in the on (or ACC) position, does it peg? Is the float full of fuel?
Anyway I always suggest adding a wire to the sending unit itself. The pic isn't the one in the video.

sender_fix(2).jpg

greatscot3

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
It's a new sender so I don't think it's a hole in the float.
We put the stock ground strap gizmo on the tank suction and we tried using other grounds with another wire and zippo.

We checked to see if the steel gas line was a good ground and it was. We tried other grounds and still nothing.
We are going to make sure the wire from the sender is good and still hooked to the gauge before buying a new gauge.
I watched a youtube video from a guy named Cuda Cody on how to test the sender but I don't think it's the sender. The sender is new.

Do you happen to know what is involved to R&R the gauge?

Sender.jpg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
The only way I know to R&R the sender is to remove the cluster.

Take off the light bar, remove the switch panel, drop the steering column, remove the woodgrain bezel, remove the cluster. Take the clear lens off, I think it’s 8 pins. I squeeze them together from the back. At this point if you unplug the speedo cable you should have enough slack to access the gauge at the back.

Before you do anything.
Remove the blue wire from the sender. Ground it’s terminal to something. Sit in the drivers seat and turn the key back to accessory. The gauge needle should start to peg to full. Don’t leave the key turned for too long! If it moves the gauge and the wiring going to it are good.

Last edited:

greatscot3

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Very grateful here. Will do as you suggest.

Back