• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rallye Light Bars

RayL

Reaction score
Hi All,

Working my way through wiring issues and finally reached a major milestone - the lights are working again - it can stay out after dark!

Now focusing on interior lighting. All working now except the dash lights for which there is a simple reason; the PO decided the car didn't need the light bar (which I didn't discover until now).

So I'm in the market for a Rallye light bar. I remember reading a post that said there are different light bars for the '70 (and maybe '71). Is that correct? If so, how would you tell the difference?

And to complicate things further, this car is a '70 clone built from a '73. I'm not sure if the dash is original to the car or came from a donor.

I welcome any information to help me avoid making an expensive mistake.

Thanks!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I think any 4 light bar will work. I switched over from non rallye and had to find one and wasn’t concerned about what year it was from.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The 70 Challenger has more of a curve to it; probably due to dash shape. You can see it most on the ends. 1st pic is 70 Challenger
The 2nd pic is 70-74 Cuda and 71-74 Challenger.
20220423_070706.jpg
20220423_070654.jpg

RayL

Reaction score
challenger6pak, thanks for images. Would you happen to have any images of rallye light bars installed in a car? I haven't seen one in so many years I can't picture how it is oriented under the dash.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
This internet picture shows it quite well. You can even see the 6 mounting screws.

Attachments

• 15-650x433 (2).jpg
    15-650x433 (2).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 141

RayL

Reaction score
There is an imprint on my dashpad from where a light bar was once mounted, but I do not see where the 3 front screws were anchored on my dashpad. There are no holes where I would expect to see them. Do these 3 screws go into the foam backing or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks for all the images!

Attachments

• LightBarMountingScrews.jpg
    LightBarMountingScrews.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Dashpad-NoFrontScrewHoles.jpg
    Dashpad-NoFrontScrewHoles.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 124

EW1BH27

Reaction score
You have far too much material in that area. I don't even remember my new Ultimate Rides dashpad having that much there. Here's a pic of my original pad.

Edit: Looks like your pad is one of those fiberglass frame ones, is it? I have no experience with those, only the metal frame ones. I did hear that the fiberglass frame ones don't hold up well, especially in the heat. If it is, you'd be better off getting a metal frame one.

PadScrewLoc..JPG

Last edited:

RayL

Reaction score
Hey EW1BH27,

I think you are right. It's probably an ABS molded part. I'm searching the web to see if I can identify which one it is so I might get an installation manual that shows how the light bar is supposed to be installed.

So far, all I find is this on Year One, but no useful information.

Thanks

i_taz

Reaction score
The ones in the back do most of the work holding it in place. Mine dash is fiberglass and
the front screws hold the front edge sufficiently tight enough

RayL

Reaction score
The ones in the back do most of the work holding it in place. Mine dash is fiberglass and
the front screws hold the front edge sufficiently tight enough
i_taz,
Would you happen to have an image of the attachment points where those screws screw into? Or maybe the dash installation manual?

i_taz

Reaction score
Turns out is not even fiberglass just styrofoam but the screws hold.
I just don't get the habit of taking it off anymore than necessary....
Any extra material was cut away....

IMG_20220502_132805620[1].jpg

Last edited:

RayL

Reaction score
Any extra material was cut away

Any extra material was cut away....

View attachment 93463
Hey i_taz, thanks for the image. I'm sure that is what I have too. So it is more or less just screwed into the foam. But, as you said, it doesn't come out that often so it should be good enough.

Thanks again!

Back