• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Real *first* restoration , needs all ,

Reaction score
Hi Guys , its been 18 years that im playing around these cars ( 34 now ) , i never really did a lot on the body works since my dad was a body man , our first cuda was a test if we can say 18 years ago , and all the other cars that i had after were pretty solid or needed light body work , until i bought my 71 cuda , A friend of mine did an amazing job restoring and painting my car , it needs to be completed and reassembled , but since a year and a half i had the nicest gift in the world and i was becoming a father , my daughter is 18 months old now , the cuda is in storage , buying our first house with a garage life goes on , but 2 weeks ago i was on my phone and i always know that another project car is not a good thing since im a working man on a budget and a familly man now , i had the chance to be the first one calling for a 1970 Dodge Challenger Shell , it was abandonned for a while and was a racecar before until it had an accident , i bought the car , couple of parts came with it , now the only problem after being very happy about it is that it needs everything , 4x frame rails , floors , trunk , typical e bodie rust in cowl and engine bay etc. i can weld and fix a small patch , change fenders , paint a bit , but doing chassis work , i never did that , but theres something inside me that wants to do it since ive seen the amd cuda project videos , it looks that everything can be done now .The car is a rare 1 of 482 A93 slant 6 225 3 speed manual Deputy Challenger B5 blue with white and black interior ,no its not a u code car , its not a T/A , but i have my 71 cuda that is my dream im very lucky enough but i wanted a car that i can learn working on it too , even if its a flat black paint job at the end , want to go with the basics even if it runs 19 sec 1/4 mile , i saw that amd and dynacorn reproduces everything almost and i dont think it will be less than 10k of metal + all the job involved , i think i should stick but i dont know if the lack of knowledge will make me say screw this and pass....

100085819_640466729874092_3190646301284892672_n.jpg

99133576_245831773396783_8154923682737684480_n.jpg

96855718_249340139686642_4241183877273485312_n.jpg

98301568_550206799027446_1537185764654186496_n.jpg

97852695_577577726515855_7915602190834597888_n.jpg

Rich G.

Reaction score
I sure hope you have everything to put this car back together! Forgetting about the body if you have to buy all the missing pieces that are not there this will literally dollar you to death! You would be amazed what is actually needed to put a car together.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
That is quite the project! You must need something to do in the garage!
Great to see another one saved and an A93 at that.

Can you post the fender tag? Was the interior of the car repainted ev2 at some point in it's life? I only see B5 on the package tray.

Now that 74 makes sense.

Reaction score
What? why! 71 Cuda sound worthy. This not so much. Stick a fork in it, it’s done.

rklein71

Reaction score
Rare doesn't necessarily make it a worthwhile project. I would seriously consider getting a more complete project. This is how my 71 BHG looked a few years ago when I bought it. A fairly complete car, I still have sunk a lot of money into it and I have done everything myself. Rod

IMG_1530.JPG

Reaction score
Seriously, why spend time on that junk challenger, forget it!

Now your 71 Cuda is very nicely painted, get that done and you will Really have something.

Reaction score
Thx for the nice comments on the cuda, we all have dreams , one of them was to be able to build one from scratch like the phantom cuda...but ypi need money and talent !!

terrywalker

Reaction score
My two cents is to finish the 71 Cuda and then if you have the dream to tackle the Challenger, go for it. After the Cuda is completed, you may find you have had enough for awhile.
Terry

fasjac

Reaction score
Hi Guys , its been 18 years that im playing around these cars ( 34 now ) , i never really did a lot on the body works since my dad was a body man , our first cuda was a test if we can say 18 years ago , and all the other cars that i had after were pretty solid or needed light body work , until i bought my 71 cuda , A friend of mine did an amazing job restoring and painting my car , it needs to be completed and reassembled , but since a year and a half i had the nicest gift in the world and i was becoming a father , my daughter is 18 months old now , the cuda is in storage , buying our first house with a garage life goes on , but 2 weeks ago i was on my phone and i always know that another project car is not a good thing since im a working man on a budget and a familly man now , i had the chance to be the first one calling for a 1970 Dodge Challenger Shell , it was abandonned for a while and was a racecar before until it had an accident , i bought the car , couple of parts came with it , now the only problem after being very happy about it is that it needs everything , 4x frame rails , floors , trunk , typical e bodie rust in cowl and engine bay etc. i can weld and fix a small patch , change fenders , paint a bit , but doing chassis work , i never did that , but theres something inside me that wants to do it since ive seen the amd cuda project videos , it looks that everything can be done now .The car is a rare 1 of 482 A93 slant 6 225 3 speed manual Deputy Challenger B5 blue with white and black interior ,no its not a u code car , its not a T/A , but i have my 71 cuda that is my dream im very lucky enough but i wanted a car that i can learn working on it too , even if its a flat black paint job at the end , want to go with the basics even if it runs 19 sec 1/4 mile , i saw that amd and dynacorn reproduces everything almost and i dont think it will be less than 10k of metal + all the job involved , i think i should stick but i dont know if the lack of knowledge will make me say screw this and pass....

View attachment 71935

View attachment 71936

View attachment 71937

View attachment 71938

View attachment 71939
I love that you want to save it! But get ready to spend a bunch. The labor alone looks to surpass 400 plus hours provided you had the replacement parts. Good luck with the project.

Reaction score
I love that you want to save it! But get ready to spend a bunch. The labor alone looks to surpass 400 plus hours provided you had the replacement parts. Good luck with the project.
Thx a lot i appreciate it..its more a personnal thing than trying to impress anybody.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I totally get the personal thing over impression. I think most here are wary due to the amount of money that it costs to do such a car. If you were to buy a shell that was not broken and rusted, it would accomplish close to the same thing but with a lot less money from your own bank account.

gzig5

Reaction score
You know how much the sheet metal costs, and don't forget shipping. Are you in Europe? Some of the stuff in the pics suggested that you are. That will add a lot. It's also going to be an average of $1 for every bolt that you need and it looks like you need them all. I'd guess somewhere between $15-$20,000 in parts. Your labor is free to you, but it's going to take a LOT of hours. Finish the green Cuda before committing to the Challenger so you don't kill that dream inadvertently. If you have the funds, go for it. They aren't making them anymore.

Back