• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear Brite Panel?

wedg2go

Reaction score
Hey to all!

Well I finally have a moment, in life, to take a breath and stay home and close to my Challenger for a week or two. I am in the process (still) to wrap up replacing the taillights and taking a long hard look at this rear brite panel in the photo. This panel has a few small scratches on it and could stand a little professional metal buffing. The only thing of it is, I don't like taking caution and throwing it into the wind. Just in case there is a Murphy Moment, I like to know if there is a replacement out there...somewhere.

This has led to an exhaustive amount of research resulting in nothing. I am convinced, I have been pushing all the wrong buttons, in my search and have been calling it something other than the correct item. So help me out and please tell me what the heck this panel is called and where I might be able to find a replacement...
20170708_113832.jpg

KMikk

Reaction score
SE tail panel, they came from the factory with argent paint on them. 1970 only I think.

wedg2go

Reaction score
Ah! Took me two seconds to find a little more something about it on another site. Never knew the SE model had this!? Needless to say it is replaceable (If I like needles and haystacks).

None the less -

Thank you, thank you, thank you KMikk!

Steve340

Reaction score
That panel may not be the original finish but I like it like that. The tail lights are highlighted like the space rocket designs. If it is alloy you can carefully push dents out and re-polish. Factory shiny alloy trim is anodised to retain the finish.
Anodising is a hard skin and probably would not be done if originally painted. That would mean it is soft which probably explains scratching etc.

KMikk

Reaction score
It was also part of the A63 package, it was all the bling without the small rear window

challenger6pak

Reaction score
That panel may not be the original finish but I like it like that. The tail lights are highlighted like the space rocket designs. If it is alloy you can carefully push dents out and re-polish. Factory shiny alloy trim is anodised to retain the finish.
Anodising is a hard skin and probably would not be done if originally painted. That would mean it is soft which probably explains scratching etc.
It was anodized due to the quarter panels mouldings that were part of it. Then the rest was painted silver. It was part of the moulding package which is part of the SE package. The moulding package could be ordered on any Challenger. People used to polish the SE rear panel and also used to polish the grilles on the 70 Challenger.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
New or decent ones can be $1000 + now , most were done in textured argent which will hide dents & scratches , I have seen them done in organisol black too which looks sharp

wedg2go

Reaction score
At one point, I thought about painting the field of this panel in an attempt to cover the finer scratches and swirl marks. Fortunately, there are no dents in the metal, but the longer I looked at it, the more I liked it bare and shiny. $1000+@YIKES!!! That much? Maybe I better treat this panel like gold and buff it out myself! LOL...Hmmmmm-mmmmm-another expensive Mopar part!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I saw one on craigslist about a week ago for 800.00.
Was in decent shape. I'll see if it's still posted.

Looks sharp when it's polished up like that!

/sixchall

Reaction score
0F063E61-4908-40A9-8A94-BF461DCA680A.png
05FED0C5-5A4E-469C-970E-AD9B6D271084.png
26F7DE13-337D-4FBE-8932-C577E1D1D546.png
Wedg2go.........a lot of the replies you got here on info about your rear finish panel, is good info. It is a ‘70 Challenger SE/WSS only coded A63 on your fender tag (of course that doesnt mean that it could not be ordered or put on the vehicle by a purchasing buyer or a dealer). Part of the SE/WSS trim package, I have seen them polished out like yours and painted an organsol black, but normally a dark Astro tone gray. My own ‘70 Slant6 Challenger is in WSS trim and has this option, the dark gray finish. They can be pricey if found on line, as you’ve been told. The pics are my extra one,for an example. This OEM piece was professionally restored.

quapman

Reaction score
The whole panel was hard anodized originally and the inner section painted over that. You can't buff it.

wedg2go

Reaction score
It's funny how I had absolutely - studied - admired - adored - wanted a 70 Challenger for the last 47 years - thought I knew everything about this ride - only to learn more about it. Thanks everyone! You taught me where to look and what to expect if I have a whoops moment with this piece.

Back