• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear coils and leafs? 73 challenger 440

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
Any ideas on what this concoctions purpose is?

image.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It seems someone wanted to tow or haul some weight or raise the rear of the car , you have air shocks too it seems + I doubt you have traction , my experience shows that coils oscillate at a different speed to the leafs so you find the rear will bounce trying to get traction & will load & unload in a cycle with the different oscillations .
I would lose both the coils & air shocks & add an extra full leaf if you want to raise the rear .

Muddytruckin

Reaction score
You are correct about having no traction. I bought the car with this setup. Wasn't sure if it had a tow package of some sort. I will have to see the cost to add a leaf vs putting super stock springs in, then get regular shocks.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You have a # of options , SS springs work well but require different front mounts , if you want you can move the springs inward with offset mounts & hangers & weld new perches onto the diff allowing for more wheel & tire width at the same time .
I have often just added 1 leaf , I had a spring shop a few blocks away & could buy full length blanks , I would trim the ends so it would be basically the same length as the main leaf & rework the spring pack so it sat just under the main leaf , I would use a square top U bolt & clamp the front section of the leafs hard & leave the rear unclamped this lifted the car approx 1" in the rear & improved traction without hurting ride quality , I could get the pair of leafs for around $100 .

Back