• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear Sway Bar with Dana 60?

Mopar426power

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 70 or 71 E-bodies were offered with a factory rear sway bar with the Dana 60 rear end?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Good question , the track pack indicates drag pkg , so maybe not , But I know the factory bar fits as mine has it .

jt4406

Reaction score
It's my understanding no Dana equipped E body got a rear sway bar. (They will fit and clear everything though). jt

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
DD97E056-DF5A-48DB-B963-231A05A66E2E.gif

Mopar426power

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, consistent with what I found.
I hear the rear sway bar really helps but wonder why the factory never put them on…

JWILLI13

Reaction score
I believe that all R/T cars had front sway bars with the rear bar being an option. R/T cars had heavy duty rear springs. Since the Dana was only available on the; 440 U-Code; 440-6 V-Code; and 426 Hemi R-Code with Manual Transmissions (Track Pack), it stands to say that the front sway bar standard and the rear is optional. My car is an R/T (Yes... It was molested) and the previous owner thought he would go faster down the track without the bars and super stock springs. I am spending boatloads of money to replace all the parts he threw away. Ugh. (This car had both bars.) All the Trans Am cars had the Rear Sway Bar. I have never seen a Dana 60 on a T/A or AAR. (But yah know. I could be wrong on that one.)

SCHU

Reaction score
Hi jt4406 , great pics. Do you have any pics of the area where the rear sway bar is close / touching the factory exhaust hanger straps that support the rear of the E body resonators.
On my 70 cuda I want to install my new factory appearing repro hangers and unsure exactly how they go around my rear sway bar. I searched but can't find good service/ reference photo with rear bar in place. thx SCHU.

jt4406

Reaction score
Hi jt4406 , great pics. Do you have any pics of the area where the rear sway bar is close / touching the factory exhaust hanger straps that support the rear of the E body resonators.
On my 70 cuda I want to install my new factory appearing repro hangers and unsure exactly how they go around my rear sway bar. I searched but can't find good service/ reference photo with rear bar in place. thx SCHU.
Hello SCHU:
I searched through the restoration pics of my car and these are the best I could find of what you are searching for, hope they are of some help to you. In the first pic you can see the bottom of the "dual exhaust" dr side hanger at the very top of the pic. The "welded on" hanger on the passenger side is at the top left of the second pic. The sway bar clears the hangers and the Dana 60 fine. These pics are prior to installing the exhaust, but it all fit like a glove. I used Accurate LTD 2.5 inch exhaust with resonators like you intend. jess

Attachments

• challenger sway bar 1.jpg
    challenger sway bar 1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 128
  • challenger sway bar 2.jpg
    challenger sway bar 2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 122

SCHU

Reaction score
Jess, thanks for looking at your restoration pics for me. Yes I'm running full Accurate Ltd repro exhaust , but I unfortunately reused the modified existing 2 1/4" exhaust resonator hangers.
Now that I have pr of new Accurate hangers, it looks very tight, so I was wondering do you remember does the reinforced rubber straps loop over top and around the rear word side of the sway bar ? Holding up in place, kinds looks like the strap rubber could rub the bar but should not be a problem. I'll try to upload photo of current wrong/ modified hanger, that shows it hitting sway barresonator hanger RH side (pic #2 side view).jpg.
thx SCHU.

Back