• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear window alignment clips 70 Challenger, How?

MarksMopar1

Reaction score
Hi,
Question. The 70 Challenger rear window clips have 2 alignment clips.
How exactly are these installed? I can not seem to find a picture or description of installing these? I know they go on the lower channel for the glass and center the glass. When I removed my glass during vinyl roof removal and replacement these clips were not on the car...so no idea how they install.
Anyone have a picture of these installed...Thanks for the help in advance!

70 Challenger rear window clips.jpg

MarksMopar1

Reaction score
3M used to ship rubber setting-blocks with their butyl-tapes. You don't want metal on the edge of tempered glass.
Ya, no rubber blocks supplied, these clips come with the trim clips for window vertical alignment. This is what apparently the factory used. So, I am looking to know how they go in and or what to use?

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I wish I took more and better pics of this before installing my rear glass because you are correct, it was very difficult to find any information, let alone a photo of the glass alignment clips installed. As I hope you can see (maybe save the pic and enlarge it) that they go between the first and second trim reveal clips from either side. They both want to face the same direction and are screwed to the same surface as the reveal clips. The widest part of the alignment clip faces the bottom edge of the glass (marked with a red "X".) I put the longest edge (Blue) facing down.

Is it correct? Who knows because in all the books I have, be it the David Wise fastener and restoration guides, the factory manuals, or the internet there are no photos of these installed anywhere. I am pissed that I didn't document this better - it is very unlike me. I do know that it did work to support the glass. I of course put etch primer and paint in the drilled holes before installing the clips. Hope this helps...

20170806_090646_LI.jpg

Inked70 Challenger rear window clips_LI.jpg

MarksMopar1

Reaction score
I wish I took more and better pics of this before installing my rear glass because you are correct, it was very difficult to find any information, let alone a photo of the glass alignment clips installed. As I hope you can see (maybe save the pic and enlarge it) that they go between the first and second trim reveal clips from either side. They both want to face the same direction and are screwed to the same surface as the reveal clips. The widest part of the alignment clip faces the bottom edge of the glass (marked with a red "X".) I put the longest edge (Blue) facing down.

Is it correct? Who knows because in all the books I have, be it the David Wise fastener and restoration guides, the factory manuals, or the internet there are no photos of these installed anywhere. I am pissed that I didn't document this better - it is very unlike me. I do know that it did work to support the glass. I of course put etch primer and paint in the drilled holes before installing the clips. Hope this helps...

View attachment 56325
View attachment 56328

Wow, Fantastic!
Yes info on this is very lacking. I took a guess and I guessed correct! I have not installed the widow yet, but will after vinyl roof install. I started playing around with clips etc and found out that these alignment clips were suppose to be there yet never were...window was out at one time I guess!
Like you I will Por15/ epoxy coat these for longevity.
While I am talking to a guy who has been there done that... I saw a post on the thickness of the Buytl seal ribbon. The post mentioned if using the original glass use 5/16 thick ribbon, if using aftermarket glass use 3/8 as the aftermarket glass is thinner. If you use the 3/8 with original glass the glass will sit to high and the window trim will not fit?
Have you any experience with this?

Thank you by the way.. fantastic info, There really should be a "How to do" on this one!

MarksMopar1

Reaction score
Taking a look once again and your photos,
Just a thought.... The blue edge installed up (straight along the top) and as you said the X part facing the glass?
Here is my thought, let me know what you think. Both ways will work (Blue side up or down) But with the blue side up water in the molding channel will be able to flow past the clip. With the blue side down water could be held behind the clip?
Like you said who knows whats correct? I have not done the job yet, your explanation seems very good and works, I thank you!
Just over thinking this maybe lol... I am going to see if I find out anything further on this, I am curious now!

MarksMopar1

Reaction score
Grady Cain
After going out to the car and taking a good look I think you likely are correct having the Blue side of the clip down. If installed the other way the finish molding may not fit. I will install them as you describe unless something else shows me there is another way?
Thanks again, very helpful

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I put the "blue" edge down for that very reason as it appeared it might interfere with the reveal trim. It was just a decision I made based on observations like you made yourself.

All of my replacement glass was from ECS and was exactly as thick as the original so I can't 100% agree with that information you got. 5/16" butyl tape worked perfectly with my aftermarket/replacement glass and the reveal trim height. I'm not saying that information is incorrect, it's just that I don't have experience with any other replacement glass. As you can see in the photo, the trim is absolutely perfect regarding it's height in the channel.

I'm glad the information I posted helped you. That's what these forums are for and it's why I have a restoration thread here and respond to as many questions as I can. Good luck and post up some pics of what you're doing...
20170806_100308.jpg

MarksMopar1

Reaction score
Hi,
Yes, I will be using the 5/16 ribbon as I am re-installing the original glass.
I read in another forum regarding the glass thickness and ribbon seal thickness. It does make sense if the glass is thinner. When I look at the glass I think it is quite thin already, not sure it could get any thinner?
Your fit and trim is perfect, great job! Thanks once again!

Back