• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Recommendation for Radiator for rebuilt 340 71 Challenger

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Hi gang - getting ready to install 340 and 727 into my 71. Engine bay painted and I will get it all mechanically functional then send back for final paint......looking for the best radiator for the $ to put in this beast. I know the thermostat should be 180 degrees.....let me know! Todd J.....

nigeltufnel

Reaction score
I'm working the same engine/trans combo and I just went through this myself, I spent over a month looking for one and finally found this:

If you don't need original looking I think it's a good solution. USA made 2 row aluminum 26". It's $587 list from C.I. but I got 10% off during their labor day sale. I've sprayed it with Eastwoods Radiator Black since I took these pictures because I don't want that bright silver behind the grille. If originality is your thing then a Glen Ray is the only way to go BUT it's about $1200.00.
OER offers a straight brass version as well in 3 AND 4 ROW also USA MADE. However, the 4 row was out of stock when I pulled the trigger on this one. Champion and Cold Case are cheaper and seem decent but I just couldn't pull the trigger on non-USA made parts... Just wanna keep my fellow Americans employed, can't help it.. Not bagging on other countries btw, just my personal preference when it comes to parts, and a lot of other stuff.

My only very small complaints would be the fit at the bottom drivers side mount. I had to remove material from the radiator frame (not the car) to get the bolt where it needed to be. It's a snug fit. The other issue I ran into is my fan shroud. The holes that are provided were too low so I had to re-drill them about 3/4" higher to clear the fan. I'm also using 1/8" thick hard rubber washers between the radiator and the support to mitigate any flex from the radiator... some folks say ya need it, some say ya don't 🤷‍♂️

IMG_8599.JPEG

IMG_8592.JPEG

IMG_8593.JPEG

IMG_8596.JPEG

IMG_8603.JPEG

Old B5

Reaction score
I bought one on eBay from the seller autocity1958 for about $260. I am not tech savvy enough to provide a link. It is a really well built aluminum unit with a tank top that is stamped to look very much like factory. More importantly it works really well in keeping the car cool. I painted it black and it looks great. I have recommended to others and they are also happy.

heminut

Reaction score
I bought one on eBay from the seller autocity1958 for about $260. I am not tech savvy enough to provide a link. It is a really well built aluminum unit with a tank top that is stamped to look very much like factory. More importantly it works really well in keeping the car cool. I painted it black and it looks great. I have recommended to others and they are also happy.
Here you go;
1966-1972 Mopar B & E Body Aluminum 26" Radiator Road Runner Challenger Cuda | eBay

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a US Radiator... 22", Triple Flow Aluminum (two 1" rows). I was initially pleased until I saw how much they cheat on the actual width. I don't think its intended, but its a definite negative in their design. My core support opening is 22"... yet the radiator is narrowed down to about 19"... having each side covered and folded by a full 1-1/2"... taking away a full total 3" of air-flow. You can see the same results on the photos that are posted in this thread. The side brackets are too wide.... the actual radiator core is narrowed... not what you'd think it actually is.

Furthermore, the tanks are pushed farther away from the core support... about a full 1-1/2". This creates a gap that allows more air to flow above and below the tanks... not through the radiator. ALSO... this reduces the distance from the face of the radiator core-to-the-water pump... in case you'd want add electric fans... that quickly takes away needed distance for the fans to the water pump (mechanical interference for most electric fans). Again, the brackets are not made properly... they are too deep. As stated above, you can see the distance and gap in the photos of this thread.

How does it perform? In normal driving, ok. But in racing conditions -- road course, autocross, even drag (example: recent MOPARTY events), the engine runs hot... hot... hot!... like up to 220 and higher.... with a shroud and clutch fan... and a 160 thermostat (even a 185 doesn't matter).

So... I want to add electric puller fans... but the distance is minimal and that reduces the choices of electric fans.

I'm to the point of just having a custom radiator made... maybe 26" wide and adapt to the 22" core support... not wanting to cut the core opening... but maybe I will... been looking at lots of other Mopars at shows (including Florida shows) where larger radiators are adapted.

I wish I could be happier with the US Radiator... but its not what I was expecting.

Back