• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Removing the radiator fan, suggestions?

Tonker1

Reaction score
Hi, the radiator fan in my challenger needs replacing and I've been unable to find a method for removing the fan in an assortment of manuals. Attempted to remove the bolts in the back of the fan by putting the car into 1st and using a breaker bar, the mechanism simply rotated in its place. Tried various other techniques with no success. Here are some photos of the situation, any suggestions?
DSC_0094rsd.jpg

DSC_0096rsd.jpg

DSC_0098rsd.jpg

DSC_0094rsd.jpg

DSC_0096rsd.jpg

DSC_0098rsd.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
It looks to me like the bolts that are supposed to mount the fan assembly to the water pump are missing. If you did not remove them, I don't know what is holding it on.:dontknow::dontknow:

Big Jim

Reaction score
May have to "persuade" the clutch fan assembly to move-try wiggling it back and forth to break the rust loose on the water pump shaft/hub. I also noticed the bolts misssing from the water pump fan...hope he isn't driving it like that. Once it's separated, hit the clutch bolts with an impact.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agreeyouhave thebolts through the pulley removed so now you need to get the whole assy off the water pump , then you can work on getting the fan bolts out of the clutch . If the clutch is shot you can clamp it ina vice or clamp vice grips onto it as you do not have to worry about saving it .

Tonker1

Reaction score
Should have mentioned that I'd removed the water pump bolts. Are there any additional requirements for removing the assembly other than taking out the bolts?
What should actually come off when I remove the fan assembly?
Will the black housing the rubber belt sits in come off as well?

burntorange70

Reaction score
Should have mentioned that I'd removed the water pump bolts. Are there any additional requirements for removing the assembly other than taking out the bolts?
What should actually come off when I remove the fan assembly?
Will the black housing the rubber belt sits in come off as well?

Should come right off. Here is a pic of one removed. May take a little persuasion to come off.

images.jpg

Tonker1

Reaction score
Thanks guys, rubber mallet and an old sacrificial screw driver and off it came!

burntorange70

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you got it off last night as I was pulling mine off my 440. LOL Good to here you got it.

Back