• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Repairing inner fenders

Marc340

Reaction score
I am ready to restore my 1970 Challenger 340 4 speed in the Netherlands (Europe). I already put in new carpet and a new driver’s Seat cover (legendary) . The car now needs new inner fenders (both sides) . Because i have to order these from the USA i really want to know which fenders fit the best and are the best quality. And of course where to order. Most people say AMD is the best. But what About Dynacorn? They are cheaper and you can buy a whole kit. But are they bad ? Can you please help me ? And If you have Amy suggestions they are more than welcome! Marc

3E31F65F-B56F-435B-9B2B-3AFD85004F1D.jpeg

1A8FD5BC-0A05-4CD1-B946-8D6F136F2777.jpeg

DFD2522A-CF49-470C-A33C-34C1FAB1EA84.jpeg

B4E725CA-FD21-4AEE-A65D-96467332B403.jpeg

BB868800-D925-48D3-B741-EE70AA4DF49D.jpeg

EE36D53B-AED6-4E0C-AAAB-D0EE1D53E8BA.jpeg

Adam

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics because they don’t show the entire inner fender... If you are going to remove and replace the entire inner fender, and shock towers I would use AMD for sure. I have found AMD to be about as good as it gets. I have never used Dynacorn, but I suspect they are the same as Goodmark. If you are just going to patch an area you could save a little; it is always a gamble if a lesser product takes more work, it could actually cost more...

And, do not sign for the delivery until you have closely inspected the panels.... even if the boxes are fine. I learned this the hard way.

Btw, nice car. More pics please.

Marc340

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I am going to remove the right fender this weekend so i can inspect the worst fender. Do I Also neef to replace the shock tower? It looks to be ok. Did you also replace the inner fenders on your car?
And thanks, the car is very Nice . It is a green on green car with a green bumble bee stripe with #matching engine and trans. It does have a patina look but i like that What car do you have ?

56F5047E-FBDC-4610-89D9-DE6D30FE2179.jpeg

D1E238E2-09B4-46F5-90C1-039FAECD6155.jpeg

40CF7555-CD43-409E-9479-9B1E61ADD620.jpeg

3DDC015D-3F80-44B9-B001-472F78EE9A8F.jpeg

96CE7B74-EACF-464D-A2F9-58C347CE254B.jpeg

340challconvert

Reaction score
General consensus; go with AMD, quality and fit is usually better.
The shock tower can remain, drilling out the spot welds where it meets the inner fender.
You have a nice looking A66 Challenger 4 speed car with a great and rare color combination. I am a big fan of the A66 Challengers and own a 70 A66 Challenger convertible I have owned since 1979.

You may find this article helpful:
Replaced driver side 70 challenger inner fender

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

Marc340

Reaction score
Thanks ! I also saw pics of your car it is a very Nice car ! Also still a lot of work to do?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just preparing now to weld in the trunk, and some patches made from AMD panels to the bottom of the quarters. Also replacing one trunk drop off and patching the drop off on the drivers side.
Good luck with your work.:thumbsup: That is a nice A 66 Challenger you have!
Dino2 (1).gif

Thanks ! I also saw pics of your car it is a very Nice car ! Also still a lot of work to do?

Marc340

Reaction score
Just preparing now to weld in the trunk, and some patches made from AMD panels to the bottom of the quarters. Also replacing one trunk drop off and patching the drop off on the drivers side.
Good luck with your work.:thumbsup: That is a nice A 66 Challenger you have!
View attachment 57588
i Will keep you updated !

Rich G.

Reaction score
I agree. Spend the extra money and go with AMD . I wouldn’t replace anything if it didn’t need it. I left the shock towers when I replaced mine. It was actually fairly easy to replace.

340challconvert

Reaction score
One other suggestion after hearing from others on this;
Take distance and position measurements from inner fender to inner fender at the firewall and at the radiator frame end to make sure that you maintain the same positions when installing the new inner fenders. I also take pictures of everything so I can go back and reference if needed. I think this would be important when you have to position the extended tab of the inner fender that goes over the top of the cowl.
Just a thought!

Dino2 (1).gif

Adam

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I am going to remove the right fender this weekend so i can inspect the worst fender. Do I Also neef to replace the shock tower? It looks to be ok. Did you also replace the inner fenders on your car?
And thanks, the car is very Nice . It is a green on green car with a green bumble bee stripe with #matching engine and trans. It does have a patina look but i like that What car do you have ?

I have a 71 R/T, it was in bad shape when I got it; I replaced the firewall, roof, driver’s floor, Dutchman panel, trunk pan and extensions, fenders, hood, trunk lid, driver’s door skin, and passenger lower quarter; amazingly my inner fenders were good. Here is a link to my photo album, it’s a couple of years ago, but many pics. :
Challenger

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
The shock towers will be fine they are made of very thick metal so the rust will have not effected them maybe just some deep pitting no point messing with them just sandblast the area where the inner fenders join them and use weld through primer. Buy all the brackets that are used to attach the inner fenders to the firewall and take plenty of measurements and photos before you start and test fit the front panels with the inner fenders just tack welded that way if you need to make an adjustment you can do it easier.

budascuda

Reaction score
I have had good results with removing and replacing inner fenders one at a time.
Before touching the inner fenders,
1) make 2 rods/sticks that would accurately fit between the inner fenders(front and back) in the engine compartment and 2 more rods that fit nicely between the fire wall and upper rad support (pass./driver) , let's say at points that could be used as "reference points".
Lable "every thing" ( mark the placement of tabs and also the position of the measuring rods with a Sharpie pen).
2) remove only one inner fender and set/tack the new inner fender in place using the measuring rods (and markings) you have made.
In this way you can reference the replacement sheet metal to the original factory sheet metal.
3) once the first new inner fender is installed, you can remove the second rusty inner fender and again use the measuring rods to set the second new inner fender.

Last edited:

Marc340

Reaction score
The shock towers will be fine they are made of very thick metal so the rust will have not effected them maybe just some deep pitting no point messing with them just sandblast the area where the inner fenders join them and use weld through primer. Buy all the brackets that are used to attach the inner fenders to the firewall and take plenty of measurements and photos before you start and test fit the front panels with the inner fenders just tack welded that way if you need to make an adjustment you can do it easier.
Thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

Marc340

Reaction score
I have had good results with removing and replacing inner fenders one at a time.
Before touching the inner fenders,
1) make 2 rods/sticks that would accurately fit between the inner fenders(front and back) in the engine compartment and 2 more rods that fit nicely between the fire well and upper rad support (pass./driver) , let's say at points that could be used as "reference points".
Lable "every thing" ( mark the placement of tabs and also the position of the measuring rods with a Sharpie pen).
2) remove only one inner fender and set/tack the new inner fender in place using the measuring rods (and markings) you have made.
In this way you can reference the replacement sheet metal to the original factory sheet metal.
3) once the first new inner fender is installed, you can remove the second rusty inner fender and again use the measuring rods to set the second new inner fender.
Thanks!

Marc340

Reaction score
I have a 71 R/T, it was in bad shape when I got it; I replaced the firewall, roof, driver’s floor, Dutchman panel, trunk pan and extensions, fenders, hood, trunk lid, driver’s door skin, and passenger lower quarter; amazingly my inner fenders were good. Here is a link to my photo album, it’s a couple of years ago, but many pics. :
Challenger
WoW! Pretty intensive restoration job:thumbsup:nice work

Marc340

Reaction score
The Floor crossmember torsion bar is Also bad at the end (see pics) left and right. The floorpan is still good btw. Is it ok to just weld A new piece at the end ? Suggestions ? Thanks !

192D5469-12A2-409F-BD24-25981B85CD74.jpeg

aussiemark

Reaction score
I would sandblast the area so you can properly assess the damage and it will make it a lot easier to weld if you decide to repair it rather then replace it.

Back