• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Reverse light harness questions

ColoradoCuda

Reaction score
I'm in the process of having my A-833 transmission rebuilt. The car is a 71 Cuda with 383 and 4-speed. When I purchased the car a couple of years back, it was missing the back up light wire harness that connects to the switch on the trans, and also the interior one that goes to the individual one on the dash. I'm going to buy them from Classic Industries, the interior one is
https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/1971/plymouth/cuda/parts/?q=mp900165

The one connecting to the trans is one of these two:
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1971/plymouth/cuda/parts/md4519.html
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1971/plymouth/cuda/parts/me8116.html

Does anyone know which one?
Also, I see an open place for a connector on the bulkhead connector, lower left position as seen in this photo. Is that where the harness from the trans plugs into?
Thanks for any help!
bulkhead wiring.jpg

Katfish

Reaction score
Looks like the difference is NOX, does your car have that?
Yes, the open spot is for the NSS and AC connections.

ColoradoCuda

Reaction score
I don't believe I have NOX, so I'll go with the one that says without.

Challenger RTA, thanks for the pix, the diagram is helpful.
I'm confused about the first pic however. What connector pair is that and where do the wires go to? I thought the wires from the trans switch would plug directly into the terminal block. It looks like the open section of my block (from my original pic) has 2 of the 4 open ports that have metal connectors, I assume these are the #s 7 & 8 on the diagram.
Also, where does the interior dash light wire go to?

ColoradoCuda

Reaction score
It looks like the in-dash light wire plugs into the harness from the switch, and the wire has a grommet on it to pass through the firewall? Where is the location of this hole in the firewall?

ColoradoCuda

Reaction score
I think I located it, just below and toward the center of the car from the terminal block.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The dash reverse lamp wiring goes through a grommet. See picture below. It is up and to the right facing the firewall.

firewallpic_driver.jpg

ColoradoCuda

Reaction score
MoparCarGuy - great pic, thanks! I don't have a hole in the firewall in that locaton, but a dimple is present. I have a hole that looks like about the same size about 4" directly below the throttle cable hole. It is plugged with a grommet. I wonder if there is a difference between 70 & 71?

Great info on that other post too!

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Yes there’s a difference. 1971 grommet hole is above the gas pedal studs. I’ll post pics when on my desktop tomorrow. The hole diameter is also different. IIRC, 70 was 3/4 and 71 was 1”. Stay tuned, I just posted this info on Moparts a couple weeks ago.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I don't believe I have NOX, so I'll go with the one that says without.

Challenger RTA, thanks for the pix, the diagram is helpful.
I'm confused about the first pic however. What connector pair is that and where do the wires go to? I thought the wires from the trans switch would plug directly into the terminal block. It looks like the open section of my block (from my original pic) has 2 of the 4 open ports that have metal connectors, I assume these are the #s 7 & 8 on the diagram.
Also, where does the interior dash light wire go to?
The diagram I posted in the upper left shows for standard and automatic reverse light. #7 and #8 connector. The bottom plug The top plug is for the wipers. There could be a difference in the location due to build date or plant. Mine being a Nov 7 71 build date it's connected to the plug not through a firewall gourmet.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
This is a good picture of a reverse light going through the grommet. CAUTION the wires for the reversed light plug are reversed! The black should be where the black-white and the black-with needs to be where the black is.
1711315472360.jpeg

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
@EW1BH27 's Moparts.com posted picture of a blue 1971 Cuda and its dash reverse light hole location for the 1" grommet.
And another 1971 FC7 E-body that is the same.
@ColoradoCuda - The hole you found is correct.
1971 E-Body Dash Reverse Light Hole 1 Inch Diameter.jpg

1971 E-Body Dash Reverse Light Firewall Hole 1 inch diameter.jpg

Last edited:

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Just another sort of relevant picture showing that the holes need to be a different diameter . ColoradoCuda, can you please verify the diameter on your car and let us know.

8010986-zz4484143-rev8.JPG

Back