• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

right turn signal wont cancel

Tactical185

Reaction score
I recently restored my 71 vert, working on some of the small problems now. My turn signals did not work, purchased a new turn signal switch from Classic industries and installed it with no problems. Both L and R turn signals are very crisp and they work. The Left turn signals cancels after turning L. The R turn signal will not cancel after turning the steering wheel. I’ve pulled the steering wheel and can several times and everything looks fine. The crush can has a slight groove and will only go on one way. Question, when installing the crush can, does the cancelation pin has to be in a certain position?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

fasjac

Reaction score
Yes the the pin on the can need to be positioned correctly to cancel the turn signals. If only one side cancels check the plastic switch housing for damage.
It sounds like you’re close. Easy to see.

29E5AC69-010D-4A98-BF3E-D5AAF9029A32.jpeg

87070694-5CF6-4E45-9BA4-C3D8BCD0DB95.jpeg

Tactical185

Reaction score
Yes the the pin on the can need to be positioned correctly to cancel the turn signals. If only one side cancels check the plastic switch housing for damage.
It sounds like you’re close. Easy to see.

View attachment 74369

View attachment 74370
So that pin will move and can be adjusted/ rotated?? That’s exactly what I was thinking but didn’t want to chance it by moving it and screwing something up. I love this site, very helpful. Great pics as well, thank you

fasjac

Reaction score
You need to remove the can and position it correctly on the splines. If you don’t have a puller, Oreillys’s has a loaner for free. Don’t pry on the can with anything. Just use the puller.

Last edited:

Tactical185

Reaction score
You need to remove the can and position it correctly on the splines. If you don’t have a puller, Oreillys’s has a loaner for free. Don’t pry on the can with anything. Just use the puller.
I have a puller and have taken it off several times. My can will only go on one way, there’s a notch in the spline that has to be aligned, it will not go on any other way. ??

fasjac

Reaction score
I happen to have an old one at work. If you’re looking at it from bottom, the flat part of the splines appears to be at 3 o’clock and the pin at 6 o’clock. This one came off my car years ago. Turn lamps canceled perfectly. I hope this helps. I’ve just never had to move the pin before on any I’ve changed. If yours looks like this, it may be time for a switch. Also, snug the little bolt (3/8) I think.

5DDABF22-4743-4F0B-9ABF-638BD081A0D7.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
Make sure the tab isn't worn or broken where the pin hits it to cancel the turn signal. There's also some good you tube's on assembly of Ebody columns if you want to check them out.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It should position evenly between the 2 cancal cams arms at around 9 oclock , make sure the ring is down far enough to reach the cams also .

Tactical185

Reaction score
It should position evenly between the 2 cancal cams arms at around 9 oclock , make sure the ring is down far enough to reach the cams also .
Thank you, can’t wait to pull the can off again and see where that pin is.

hofilbert

Reaction score
Hello. I had the very same problem with the very same item from the very same seller just a couple months ago. If you haven't already figured out the pin is what cancels the turn signal, as most people above have said. Good luck adjusting that pin. I fixed the issue with a far simpler solution of simply bending the soft switch fingers UP. The switch has 2 large triangular tips on the ends of the long "S" fingers. Those have to hit the pin. Simply grab the fingers and PULL THEM UP. Don't worry, you won't break the switch. Pull and radically bend them upward. It is a soft Low-density polyethylene plastic LDPE like toy army men, so your chances of breaking it are nil. So, bend the finger up so the fingers sit higher than they were. If you over pull and bend, they will just sit higher and rub on the underside of the collar - nothing bad there at all. That's what I did. Took a few minutes and was super easy.

Last edited:

Tactical185

Reaction score
Hello. I had the very same problem with the very same item from the very same seller just a couple months ago. If you haven't already figured out the pin is what cancels the turn signal, as most people above have said. Good luck adjusting that pin. I fixed the issue with a far simpler solution of simply bending the soft switch fingers UP. The switch has 2 large triangular tips on the ends of the long "S" fingers. Those have to hit the pin. Simply grab the fingers and PULL THEM UP. Don't worry, you won't break the switch. Pull and radically bend them upward. It is a soft Low-density polyethylene plastic LDPE like toy army men, so your chances of breaking it are nil. So, bend the finger up so the fingers to sit higher than they were. If you over pull and bend, they will just sit higher and rub on the underside of the collar - nothing bad there at all. That's what I did. Took a few minutes and was super easy.
So, you’re suggesting not to adjust/ move the pin.?? Also, if I understand you correctly, just bend that plastic tab up and that is the fix? If so, I can’t wait to try it. Thank you. I will let you know if it works for me. This site is so cool and extremely helpful.

Tactical185

Reaction score
Hello. I had the very same problem with the very same item from the very same seller just a couple months ago. If you haven't already figured out the pin is what cancels the turn signal, as most people above have said. Good luck adjusting that pin. I fixed the issue with a far simpler solution of simply bending the soft switch fingers UP. The switch has 2 large triangular tips on the ends of the long "S" fingers. Those have to hit the pin. Simply grab the fingers and PULL THEM UP. Don't worry, you won't break the switch. Pull and radically bend them upward. It is a soft Low-density polyethylene plastic LDPE like toy army men, so your chances of breaking it are nil. So, bend the finger up so the fingers to sit higher than they were. If you over pull and bend, they will just sit higher and rub on the underside of the collar - nothing bad there at all. That's what I did. Took a few minutes and was super easy.
also, beautiful Cuda

hofilbert

Reaction score
So, you’re suggesting not to adjust/ move the pin.?? Also, if I understand you correctly, just bend that plastic tab up and that is the fix? If so, I can’t wait to try it. Thank you. I will let you know if it works for me. This site is so cool and extremely helpful.
Yep, do not even attempt to mess with the pin. I believe the CI part may have some specs on the height a bit off, so the metal cancelling pin won't reach it. So, bend the plastic triangular block up to touch the pin. Pretty easy. It worked for me. Note: bend it rather severely so in the hot summer days if you leave it out it doesn't return to mold specs. You want it to stay up a small distance even after a hot day in the sun. THANKS, on my Cuda.

Tactical185

Reaction score
Yep, do not even attempt to mess with the pin. I believe the CI part may have some specs on the height a bit off, so the metal cancelling pin won't reach it. So, bend the plastic triangular block up to touch the pin. Pretty easy. It worked for me. Note: bend it rather severely so in the hot summer days if you leave it out it doesn't return to mold specs. You want it to stay up a small distance even after a hot day in the sun. THANKS, on my Cuda.
Confirm these are the ends to bend upward?

F77E1647-B0E0-40A0-A9D8-FBF2BE23BFF9.jpeg

hofilbert

Reaction score
yes. You probably should put 1 finger at the base of the yellow part to hold down and not accidentally dislodge the securing rivets in the center. Then with your other hand pull up the 2 plastic fingers you have marked. If you look at the design, you can see the larger plastic finger "S" parts are made to catch that cancelling metal pin.

Tactical185

Reaction score
I happen to have an old one at work. If you’re looking at it from bottom, the flat part of the splines appears to be at 3 o’clock and the pin at 6 o’clock. This one came off my car years ago. Turn lamps canceled perfectly. I hope this helps. I’ve just never had to move the pin before on any I’ve changed. If yours looks like this, it may be time for a switch. Also, snug the little bolt (3/8) I think.

View attachment 74381
Thank you, I looked and the pin and spline are in the correct location.

Tactical185

Reaction score
yes. You probably should put 1 finger at the base of the yellow part to hold down and not accidentally dislodge the securing rivets in the center. Then with your other hand pull up the 2 plastic fingers you have marked. If you look at the design, you can see the larger plastic finger "S" parts are made to catch that cancelling metal pin.
Boom, that did it. I removed the can, bent the ears up. Both turn signals now cancel, thank you so much.

Back