• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Turn signal unit replacement and car will not start now

panusr

Reaction score
I will cut to the chase on this one. My turn signals have not worked for several years. The emergency flashers have always worked. I bought a turn signal replace unit. I removed the steering wheel and everything else required to install the new turn signal unit. The process required me to remove the steering column cradle and the metal cover shielding the wires coming from the steering column (needed to do this in order to feed the new turn signal unit plug through the column). Pain in the butt, but no problem so far.

The end result is this; blinkers now work and flashers work. When I connect the the positive battery terminal, I hear this noise (almost like a buzzing noise), but when I turn the ignition to the start position, the “noise/sound” goes away, and all electrical stuff works (blinkers, electronic fuel pump, and so on. However, when I try to start the car (push the clutch in as normal), the engine doesn’t even turn over. It is like I don’t have the clutch pedal pushed in (safety switch).

I appreciate any thought or ideas. Pinched wire under the dash maybe? This is killing me. Thanks in advance.

Ron

70chall440

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like you pinched, cut or somehow broke an ignition switch wire. I am not sure what year car this is but your buzzing could be a seat belt warning or perhaps a flasher.

Unfortunately you are going to have to diagnose this, remove the cradle and cover and then try and start it, if it works then you know its something there. If not, then you are going to have to dig deeper. Its possible that when you were messing with the column the safety neutral switch on the clutch became unplugged or dislodged, might want to look at that first. Also, you can disconnect the safety neutral switch wire out on the starter relay, then attach a jumper from that terminal to ground and then try and start it, if it starts then its that circuit.

panusr

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. That really helps. I am going to remove the column cradle and and cover first and see what happens. My Challenger is a 1970 RT. It has to be something in and around the column wiring. The thing that is really throwing me off is the “noise”. I have had the car for over 20 years and never heard this sound. Plus, whenI turn the key to the start position, the sound goes away. I will post the results of what happens. Thanks again.
Ron

Back