• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rim Blow vs. Standard Wheel

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Have manual steering and my 50 year old worn down standard steering wheel. Really difficult to turn, and the worn down plastic wood wheel is really slick.

Is the optional Rim Blow rim any larger in diameter for better grip? Is the grip better in general than the standard wheel? Are the repop rim blow wheels decent?

Thanks

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I have both steering wheels. Without taking any measurements I can say that there's virtually no noticeable difference between the two. I have heard people say that with a Rim Blow and standard steering sometimes they inadvertently squeeze the switch and sound the horn.

Attachments

• SteerWheels (1).JPG
    SteerWheels (1).JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 104
  • SteerWheels (2).JPG
    SteerWheels (2).JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 100

doubleyellow

Reaction score
I have both steering wheels. Without taking any measurements I can say that there's virtually no noticeable difference between the two. I have heard people say that with a Rim Blow and standard steering sometimes they inadvertently squeeze the switch and sound the horn.
Great Pix and feedback. I do like the sportier look of the Rim Blow.

Guess I could go retro and stitch on the 70's perforated fake leather wheel wrap for better grip!! Or convert the manual to power steering at some point.

Any chance a manual box rebuild would improve turning at standstill? Or rebuild just firms it up and reduces play?

Thanks

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Sorry, can't help with your questions. Never had to deal with that, always had power steering.

Maybe someone else will chime in with an answer.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
A rebuild would probably help a little , 55 year old grease alone could be a problem but if the brgs are good & the mesh is set up correctly I doubt it would make much difference .

Back