• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

RTV for new intake manifold ?

Cuda Scott

Reaction score
I'm about to install a new Edelbrock intake manifold and gasket on my 72 Cuda 340. Can't seem to find a definite answer on where or if I need to apply RTV during assembly.
Just want to do it right the first time. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Scott

jeff968

Reaction score
Not sure what RTV is but guessing it is some version of form-a-gasket. Yes, I would use it. I installed the cork intake manifold gasket pieces found in the Fel-pro kit on my stock manifold. Within a year they hardened and leaked like crazy. When I pulled the intake off they had become brittle and disintegrated like a cracker. I redid the intake with form-a-gasket and it has not leaked since.

tonysrt

Reaction score
on the small blocks you have to remove the dowels at the front and rear of the block. The edelbrock manifold is not drilled to accept those dowels. They pull out with pliers. This is where you put the silicon to seal the front and rear of manifold. You could probably glue the formed end gaskets on, but if you lay enough silicon your okay. I did this installation about three months ago on a 318.

Cuda Scott

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the tips. Not having pulled the original manifold off yet will help knowing about the dowels.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Not sure what RTV is but guessing it is some version of form-a-gasket. Yes, I would use it. I installed the cork intake manifold gasket pieces found in the Fel-pro kit on my stock manifold. Within a year they hardened and leaked like crazy. When I pulled the intake off they had become brittle and disintegrated like a cracker. I redid the intake with form-a-gasket and it has not leaked since.
I only use Permatex Hi Tack cement on the gasket inlet surfaces use red or black sealant on the valley end seals
Silicone turns to a gooey mess on the inlet surfaces when the fuel hits it.
Once fitted leave a few hours for sealant to cure never had a leak

470 cuda

Reaction score
Been a wrench turner for a long time I use Right Stuff,I use the calk tubes but they make smaller charged cans, this stuff is like urethane, not silicone, very good product omit the end seals use a bead on each end of intake

Back