• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sanding Question

72barracuda

Reaction score
I am getting ready to sand some parts that have a coat of primer. I don't have a compressor and I was wondering if anyone uses electric DA sanders for this. If so, is there a particular brand that is better than others? Is 5" typical? I have read reviews of these tools on store websites and some of them are not too impressive. Thanks in advance.

Adam

Reaction score
What kind of primer are you sanding, EDP, epoxy, or 2k/ polyester? I would not use a DA on 2k or poly primer, although some guys do it quite well. For scuffing epoxy or scuffing/removing EDP a DA is good. Electric? I would be very skeptical of them... go on SearchTempest, get a used 5 hp compressor. You will use it for all sorts of things... inflating tires, air tools, shooting primer, etc.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I agree get a compressor and air tools. If the compressor is used make sure the tank isn't rusted on the bottom near the petcock.

72barracuda

Reaction score
I have two aftermarket valance panels that are EDP. Most of the car is a green rust preventive primer, probably contains zinc, fenders are being worked on and have a different primer. I will have to research the actual type of primer that was used in both cases.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It is probably the old epoxy primer. I have a Challenger sitting here with that on it. I painted it 25 years ago with the primer over bare metal. It sat for 20 years under a carport with a car cover and never rusted. I wouldn't sand it. It is a sealer. It wasn't designed for sanding. Spray sandable primer over it.

Last edited:

js29

Reaction score
green could be ether etch or epoxy, ether one should be scuffed down. PPG recommends after 7 days to sand there epoxy primers. they also recommend using a product called DX330 grease and wax remover to sand it with so it dose not ball up on the sand paper. i would try 320 wet or dry 3m sand paper and wet sand it if you find that it is epoxy. if its etch you can dry sand. ether way i would still plan on getting a compressor i prefer a 2 stage.

72barracuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I did more research and found a nice restoration guide on the PPG website and also some videos from Eastwood on block sanding.

Back