• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

SE tail panel clips

Sebastian

Reaction score
Once again i have a trim related question.
My Car is a A63 option R/T but the tail panel on the car was missing.
I thought i would never buy one because the asking prices out there are not reasonable for me.
Anyway the nicest things happen when you don't expect them and i bought a NOS 70s panel for less than 250 bucks from a guy directly here in Germany. Yay!
Its in astrotone and not black as it should be but i dont want to touch the original color now.

Now i am looking for the correct retainers and nuts to fasten it back on my car but i red those clips are kind of rare.
I only have one picture showing the way its done but i dont know how the fasteners look like exactly.

image (2).jpg

Can someone tell/show me what exactly is needed - maybe i find some remaining clips in a box that came with the car.

Maybe someone is selling some clips?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

What I red regarding the applique is:

Challenger = painted Body Color
Challenger w/A63 (OPTIONAL) = Astrotone Painted Applique
Challenger SE = Astrotone Painted Applique
Challenger RT = painted Body Color
Challenger RT w/A63 (OPTIONAL) = Astrotone Painted Applique (black early)
Challenger RT/SE = Astrotone Painted Applique (black early)
Challenger T/A = painted Black

Edit: My R/T was built in April 70...i dont know if you would say its an early built date.

Last edited:

Locomotion

Reaction score
An April build date would be considered "late". They actually started building 1970 model year cars in late 1969 and it ended somewhere around the middle of 1970. They still do that today.

Sebastian

Reaction score
That means to me that the panel i bought is correct for me. Nice!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Being that your car is late it may not have the holes in the taillight panel body of the car for the clips. Not all cars used them. Also the panel goes over the trunk lock not under it. Just in case you didn't know.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I allready checked If there are holes in the body panel and yes they are there.
The previous owner overpainted them.

I am not sure If i understand what you mean with the trunk lock.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The lock goes under the panel. The hole in the panel is too small for the lock to go through. It is one of those things that will drive you crazy if you don't know how it fits together.
SE-1.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
That list you have for rear tailpanel colors if for the taillight panel itself, not the A63 trim panel. T/As were the only factory cars to have a black tailpanel.

"Applique"=A63 type trim panel and it was always textured argent.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Thank you for the hint @challenger6pak.
Thats really good to know before trying to fit that lock through the panel. :D

@quapman i think i understand what you are saying.
So the panel for me was argent any time anyway.
Works fine for me! Glad i dont have to touch that NOS part and let it be like it is.

Regarding my opening question:
I counted 6 holes from inside the taillight panel right above the lights themself which are sealed on my car.
So i need 6 "special" retainers with tall dome nuts (right?) and in addition to that the 6 standard retainers that are allready holding my le+ri edge trims.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
There is proof that some early assembly line installed rear appliques were black on RT and RT - SE cars. Bean counters probably changed the practice to silver only.

Last edited:

KMikk

Reaction score
I need 6 of those as well, I hope someone has them.

/sixchall

Reaction score
AFA14D28-D090-457F-ADE7-F5DBB60D2C85.jpeg
1EA5C3E4-54BB-456A-B383-7A4B8877FCA1.png
BD920E52-80FC-4A8C-9077-F63FE71E8413.png
B8F9A298-E748-4A59-BB0A-14CEB8B1C786.png
Sebastian......my ‘70 Slant6 Challenger is in WSS trim, so it does have the SE rear finish panel. This panel is painted in the dark gray astro tone paint, and the lock cylinder is under the panel. I’ll post pictures for example of my extra trim panel and fasteners. Gives you an idea of what your looking for.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Thanks @/sixchall i just realized that i will need the edge retainers too.
I thought they will be the same as the standard ones but nope.

Today i put the panel loose on its place to check the fitting.
2018-05-31-18-02-05.jpg

Not really bad but i think i need those correct clips to get a proper fitting and pull the edges flush on the car...
(like you can see on the pic)

Never expected that the retainers will cause more headache than buying the panel itself. :confused:

Checked everywhere in the web but no chance to get them right now.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Just saw that Jims Auto Parts seems to be the only shop that sells an SE panel clip set for 160 bucks!
There are no pictures showing that set and i am wondering if those clips are customized or hand made repops (would explain that price a liiiittle bit) or if its just a similar modern Chrysler set that works with the panel...?
If so it should have the value of a couple dollar.

fk5aar

Reaction score
Keep me posted I need them too, unfortunately only have my original panel, I would love to find one nos

6CE17212-4655-4731-8A17-30C7D3873AF1.jpeg

/sixchall

Reaction score
2541877B-ACE8-46FA-AAAC-A5332DBE7941.png
495E0267-73CD-4D55-A32E-8F538DDA1BD3.png
8E8B4CE1-CDFB-4F91-B629-40F8AC74869B.png
Sebastian, FK5AAR........it’s unfortunate for those who need these panels that they are not repoped.But $250. for an NOS one is a heckuva deal, not having the correct fasteners is really frustrating. I picked my extra panel up several years ago needing to be repaired. As you can see by pics I had it professionally restored. The fasteners are hard to find even on-line. Would I trust the so called kits......probably not. I have the full set of fasteners, but for my panel. Good luck they’re out there.

fk5aar

Reaction score
Restored tailights and new bezels, some eye candy

4EA7BB20-128E-4DFC-BF2C-1685A989D04A.jpeg

Back