• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

shaker hood to cowl seal

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have an AMD shaker hood and trying to install the cowl seal but it seems like there are not enough holes in the hood to support the seal. None of the pictures show exactly how it is installed. I don't know if shaker hood even used a seal. I know there is one around bubble, but doesn't do the same job. I know I could drill holes in the hood to secure it but would like some info before I do it.

terrywalker

Reaction score
I have an AMD shaker hood and trying to install the cowl seal but it seems like there are not enough holes in the hood to support the seal. None of the pictures show exactly how it is installed. I don't know if shaker hood even used a seal. I know there is one around bubble, but doesn't do the same job. I know I could drill holes in the hood to secure it but would like some info before I do it.
On my Shaker hood, the hood to cowl seal mounts on the cowl, not the back of the hood. See photo.
Terry W.

Attachments

• Photo330.jpg
    Photo330.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 131

tonysrt

Reaction score
If that's the case there must be a different seal for the shaker hood. My hood has the right angle bracket for the end pins and holes in the seal. Thanks for the picture and info. Cuda is a little different because it has the header panel for the hood.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Same seal for all 70-74 Cuda cowls. Sidenote: Only early-1970 Cudas had the cowl blackout. The blackout of the cowl ceased after the AAR Cuda production ended. Approximately the first week of May 1970.

Cowl Seal Cuda (1).JPG

Cowl Seal Cuda (3).JPG
Cowl Seal Cuda (5).JPG

Cowl Seal with curved ends and clips.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
If that's the case there must be a different seal for the shaker hood. My hood has the right angle bracket for the end pins and holes in the seal. Thanks for the picture and info. Cuda is a little different because it has the header panel for the hood.
Are you referring to the seal at the front of the hood between the radiator support and hood? Just wondering.
Terry W.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Yes the seal at the front of the hood to radiator area. I think front seal is more important than rear cowl area. That rear seal probably prevents engine heat from entering the cowl vents.

terrywalker

Reaction score
Yes the seal at the front of the hood to radiator area. I think front seal is more important than rear cowl area. That rear seal probably prevents engine heat from entering the cowl vents.
Okay, that explains it. What threw us off was your reference as the cowl to hood seal in your post. The Cuda and Challengers both have cowl to back of the hood seals and they are very similar. The Challengers also have a hood to radiator support cross piece, the same as Cudas at the front of the hood. Maybe someone has a photo of that seal on the bottom front of a Cuda hood.
Terry W.

tonysrt

Reaction score
The header panel at the front of the engine bay doesn't have holes to secure the seal like I saw in the above Challenger picture.

Steve340

Reaction score
The Challenger Shaker hood does have the hood/radiator support seal. Or at least my one does. I think Chrysler would have fitted it to all the cars to force the air through the radiator no matter what style of hood it had.
When I purchased the car it was not fitted and everything worked OK. I purchased one from Detroit Muscle Technologies and it came with all the mounting hardware. The holes for the clips are along the back edge of the inner hood support.

tonysrt

Reaction score
That makes sense on a Cuda to have the holes on the back of the lip of the hood, but the hood is not perforated for the supporting hardware. That is why I questioned maybe drilling the holes myself in the hood to support the seal. May be I'll give a call to DMT about this. I looked in the factory parts manual & the service manual and came up empty.

Steve340

Reaction score
It is definitely possible the reproduction hood does not have the mounting holes that an original hood has.
The DMT part and kit is top notch IMO.
Once you see the seal it will be obvious how to mount it for drilling purposes.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I just laid the seal at the back lip of the hood and that shows that hood must be drilled for the supporting holes. The end angle brackets are there so that will give me where exactly it fits. I cheated and went on another site and the question came up and solution was drill the holes for the seal with the AMD hood.

tonysrt

Reaction score
When I'm ready to install it, I'll put tape on the hood and position the seal with the end holes and mark the tape with a sharpie and then drill. Thanks to all for the input and pictures to get this done. Going away tomorrow for a week and a half so to be continued at a later date. Will let you know out come. I measured where the seal goes to make sure it covers the radiator support and its right on. That's with the seal secured at the back of the hood lip.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Some installed 1970 Cuda Hood to Radiator Seal pictures.

Passenger side Hood-to-Radiator Seal.jpg
Driver side View of Center of Hood-to-Radiator Seal.jpg
Driver side Hood-to-Radiator Seal.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
Yep. Same way the Challenger hood to radiator support seal is installed.
Terry W.

Back