• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

shift kit experience

GGeesey

Reaction score
The 727 in my Challenger shifts a little "soft". It doesn't feel like it is slipping per se, it just doesn't shift hard. The fluid is full, pink and appears to be in good condition.
Will a "shift improver kit" from a reputable transmission company fix this? I thought I read that the internal bands can be tightened to help firm things up as well. Can anyone share their thoughts on this?

moparleo

Reaction score
How long have you had the car ? Did it shift different before ? Is it stock and /or low mileage ? Why do you think it is soft ? Full throttle shifts? How hard do you want it to shift just cruising ?

GGeesey

Reaction score
Transmission has about 10k miles on it. The car is new to me, so I cant say if the soft shifting is a recent occurrence. I think it is soft as compared to the TH400 trans in my stock GTO. I like my cars to chirp 2nd gear at full throttle and this 727 doesn't come close. I prefer shift firmness over perceived "comfort". I don't want manual valve-body harshness, but I'd like it to chirp 2nd gear when I lay in to it.

FLY'NFISH

Reaction score
I used a Turbo Action Cheetah valve body replacement part#17676. This version is the manual/auto with stock pattern shifting. The installation and band adjustment was very easy to do. It will bark gears manually shifting or letting it go automatically.

GGeesey

Reaction score
I'll look in to this, Fly'nfish. Thanks! Am I correct that the bands themselves sometimes need to be tightened? and does this affect shift firmness?

Adam

Reaction score
I second Flyn fish. I loved my Turbo Action Cheetah valve body. It really woke up the car.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I used a B&M "shift improver" kit in my fairly newish 727 in a mild 340 Charger (Australian Charger), bought from Mancini or Summit, can't remember which, but it was worth every cent and made the trans just so firm and responsive and it did chirp going into 2nd also. TCI also make a reasonable one. Look them up at Summit. The trans should be serviced first and the front and rear band adjustment is part of that.

I also highly recommend a higher stall converter to complement the improver, for just street use I would say between 2200 to 2800 would be just dandy.

GGeesey

Reaction score
The instruction sheet for the Turbo Action Cheetah valve body says that this application HAS TO have kick-down linkage. Sorry for the dumb question, but does my vehicle's stock kick-down linkage work ok with this part?

FLY'NFISH

Reaction score
It should. All the external linkages go right back on the stem that controls the shifting. Is the factory kick down linkage present on your car?

FLY'NFISH

Reaction score
Sorry....you did say you had the factory setup. Make sure you adjust the kick down correctly by having the carb to trans rod push the linkage all the way back until it stops at WOT. Not having this adjusted right can damage the trans.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
15yrs ago I had the B&M kit installed and have had no issues with shift performance. It still squawks hitting second. Find a good person to install it rather than a shop as I did they take more pride in their work I believe. When doing it please replace the front and rear seals.

Back