• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shorty plug part numbers for 73 340 & detonation.

73Challengr

Reaction score
Hi all, anyone got shorty sparkplug numbers for a 73 340?

Also (sorry, I know spark plug conversations are a pain) i'm running headers. When I changed plugs last time the 2 that are "boxed in" by the header (driver side rear) were very dirty. I do have slight detonation under power even with high octane + octane boost, I'm guessing its one or both of the driver side rear cylinders based on the dirty plugs. The other plugs looked good.

Any thoughts on running 2 colder plugs in the driver side rear and "normal" plugs on the rest? Help, hurt...absolutely no difference?

Thanks much.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The shortest spark plugs I have found is Accel & they are not a lot shorter . Sorry I don't have a part#
No harm in trying a cooler plug but if they are fouling now cooler plugs will foul faster .
Poorer quality headers can make 5&7 cyl a pain to access .
Detonation can be a lot of things , timing , fuel mixture , plugs carbo build up in the cylinders , tuning the carb may get rid of it without changing timing .

KVB

Reaction score
The shortest spark plugs I have found is Accel & they are not a lot shorter . Sorry I don't have a part#
No harm in trying a cooler plug but if they are fouling now cooler plugs will foul faster .
Poorer quality headers can make 5&7 cyl a pain to access .
Detonation can be a lot of things , timing , fuel mixture , plugs carbo build up in the cylinders , tuning the carb may get rid of it without changing timing .

I pulled out some really fouled RN12YC (340 w/J heads) and replaced with NGK BPR5ES (which is a little cooler?). To my eye, they were a thread or so shorter and I didn't break them installing under hooker comps....

I noticed a difference just changing plugs and plan on upgrading the wires and distro cap, just to sure everything up.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Cool at least you are getting it running better !
The NGK plugs I have found to be very finicky & if they start to foul they will fail fast .

AUSTA

Reaction score
Same found once NGK have failed they will not clear where the Champions will fire & burn off the carbon once the system leans out

Back