• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slap Stick Shifter Question

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 70 Barracuda with a 360 engine and 727 trans. I had the trans rebuilt but I installed the trans and shift linkage. I have a question regarding the shifter position. When I'm in park I have to press the button on the shifter to go into reverse. But from reverse to neutral, to drive I don't have to press the shifter button. I do need to press the button on the shifter to go from drive to second or first. Going in the opposite direction. I can go from first, to second, then to drive. If I'm in drive I can go from drive to neutral, but not from neutral to reverse. Is this operation of the trans normal?

The second question is regarding adjusting the linkage. The car has always had the problem of intermittently not starting in park or neutral. I replaced the neutral safety switch a couple of months ago. Up until a few days ago I was able to start the car in park or neutral. Now it will start in neutral but not park. I was reading another thread that suggested the linkage may need to be adjusted. If I turn the key and move the shifter the car will start. From the park to reverse position, the indicator is half way between park and reverse. When I shift to drive, the indicator is not quite on the "D." Id there a procedure for adjusting the linkage? Thanks

70chall440

Reaction score
I would have to go out and look at my 70 Challenger to be certain, but can you shift from 2nd all the way to N? If not then I "think" you are good there. Basically you are supposed to be able to "slap shift" from 1st to 2nd and then to D.

As to the other question, yes it sounds like you need to adjust your shifter linkage. Get a FSM from www.mymopars.com and follow the adjustment instructions.

money pit

Reaction score
I would have to go out and look at my 70 Challenger to be certain, but can you shift from 2nd all the way to N? If not then I "think" you are good there. Basically you are supposed to be able to "slap shift" from 1st to 2nd and then to D.

As to the other question, yes it sounds like you need to adjust your shifter linkage. Get a FSM from www.mymopars.com and follow the adjustment instructions.
I can shift from 1st to 2nd then to drive but I have to press the button to get into neutral. If I'm in drive (without going to 1st of 2nd), I can shift into neutral without pressing the button. Thanks

70chall440

Reaction score
I think the shifter is working properly, however the starting issue I think requires some linkage adjustment.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I will agree your shifter is working as it should. When you put it in "1" and start slapping it thru the gears "D" becomes 3rd gear. You then need to press the button and shift into neutral, then back into "D" to place the tranny back into automatic mode, otherwise it will stay in 3rd gear. This is how mine works which I believe is normal.

70chall440

Reaction score
I believe that once you are in "D" (aka 3rd) it will then operate as it would had you just started there meaning that it should down shift when you slow down/stop and up shift when you take off unless the trans has been modified.

In other words I believe that you do not have to shift into neutral and then back to D to have it operate normally.

Back