• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slow voltage drain. Any suggestions?

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
My 71 R/T 340 4 speed has been up and running since November last year and has been sitting for a few months over the winter. I went to start it the other day and the battery was dead. It was a new 1045 amp Napa one. I threw a little charge in it and it fired up.
I have a Mopar 110 amp 1 wire alternator in there with 8 gauge direct to the battery and extra ground wire to the body as suggested. Running MSD 6al 2 and it's triggered by the brown and blue wires together as required for start/ run. No issues with that as far as I know but when the battery is connected, I notice a slow voltage drop. if disconnected, no drop. No lights on, glove box etc. no stereo yet either but I do have the tach adapter.
Any ideas would be appreciated. I really don't want to put a kill switch in but leaning towards it.
Thanks!

IMG_20231104_152734919_HDR.jpg

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Forgot to add that I also hooked up the original wire from the firewall along with the 8 gauge going to the battery. Thx

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If it's going to sit for awhile. Charge the battery back up. pull all the fuses. That will narrow it down where it might be. A test light across each fuse connection. Also a quick check. Remove alt charging wire place a test light between the wire and stud. If it lights the alt has a short. Even a faint glow in the dark.
Remember if the battery is hooked up when removing alt wire it is always HOT!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
A few things that might draw power when it is off. Clock, bad ign sw not turning off, bulkhead connectors corroded and shorting to ground, park sw you don't have. And a broken wire insulation bleeding off to ground. Headlight sw dimmer sw. There are others look to see what you find.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
An electric clock will drain a battery over a few months time. The best way to find the drain is to disconnect the Positive post from the battery. Hook a digital amp meter (in mili-amp scale) between the cable and battery post. If you have a drain, it will show up. Then start pulling fuses until the drain goes away. That will show you which circuit is the culprit. If you still have a drain with all the fuses out, your drain is likely under the hood or a partial ground somewhere. Alternator could have a bad diode but that would normally drain the battery overnite. Diligence is your friend here. I have a factory clock in my 65 Fury that will drain the battery over time. I put a battery post disconnect in all of my collector cars for that very reason. One of these......

s-l1600.jpg

TripleBlk70

Reaction score
Instead of a kill switch could you do a battery tender? In my "other" muscle car I have a clock as well as a radio and a gps tracker I want to keep fully charged in case the car is ever stolen...and it can go weeks without being started so I use a battery tender to make sure my battery never ends up dead.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
It does have the rally dash with clock but it's not working currently. It could be the culprit. I am going to test like sixpack mentioned and hopefully find something. It was a brand new 1045 amp battery so I was kinda shocked to see it was completely dead in three months. My charger srt has security and clock in the radio and sat longer but fired right off
I appreciate all the input from everyone.
I completely assembled the car in a lil over 6 months and it was a lot to do after work and weekends. I burned myself out doing it and once it was running, I thought it was over with. Lol
I got a break from it but the bugs got to get worked out now.
I want to start assembling my Demon this spring but I am not starting that till this one is perfected .
I will post what I find soon.

Back