• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

solid lifter question

mayhem

Reaction score
Trying to finish sourcing parts for a BBM build, SFT cam, street car. Anyone have any experience w/Howards solid lifters? Also, do we like EDM lifters (91708-16) over the old school lifters (91705-16)? Not looking to break the bank but don't want to break the engine if lifters are suspect. Anyone got an opinion for different SFT lifters?

Steve340

Reaction score
Used one set of Howards. Checked the crown on a surface plate - all good.
I got the EDM style and it is a good idea.

mayhem

Reaction score
Thanks for the real world usage report Steve and 'Psycho, your opinion is always highly valued.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I always purchase the cam and lifters as a "package" regardless of which manufacturer I select. Cause if you have a problem, the cam mfr can't blame the lifter mfr, or vise versa. Of course, they will both blame improper "beak-in", so maybe it doesn't matter? Good luck, let us know how it works out.

mayhem

Reaction score
I always purchase the cam and lifters as a "package" regardless of which manufacturer I select. Cause if you have a problem, the cam mfr can't blame the lifter mfr, or vise versa. Of course, they will both blame improper "beak-in", so maybe it doesn't matter? Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Thanks, Juan. I had considered something off the shelf as a 'kit' from one of the major manufacturers but the recent spate of 'cam failures' are likely due to poor cores from the foundry so I contacted a regional company I've had great results from in the past. He had an old school core on the shelf & we settled on a reasonable street grind. He gave me a couple companies for lifters & Howards was one of them. I like what I've been able to read about Howards & thought I'd give them a try as others seemed happy with their purchases. Steve & 'Psycho pretty much confirmed what I was feeling. But, yeah, "improper break-in" is always out there. Try & stay cool, keep the combustibles away from the house & shop!

Steve340

Reaction score
It would still pay to check your new lifters have all been manufactured correctly and have the 2 to 3 thousands crown.
It is fairly easy to check if you have a DTI, V block and surface plate.

mayhem

Reaction score
It would still pay to check your new lifters have all been manufactured correctly and have the 2 to 3 thousands crown.
It is fairly easy to check if you have a DTI, V block and surface plate.
Will do. Thanks.

rikkitik

Reaction score
I'm running an Ultradyne SFT, with Howards EDM lifters. Have apprx. 5K miles on this setup with ZERO issues.
Strong runner too. Very satisfied.

Back