• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sound and Heat Deadning Materials

73 rallye

Reaction score
Is anyone able to give me do's and don'ts about this stuff. I would like to cut the heat and sound in the cab of the car but don't want to ruin or devalue it in anyway. Is the trunk worth doing as well or will this affect things as well. whiel on the subject is there products you all would suggest. The car is completely together so i would be having to remove interior to apply. Thanks in advance for any help

moparleo

Reaction score
Seats and carpet come out quickly. If you truly want to quiet down the interior, pull the door panels and do the doors too. There are several products on the market and they all have pros and cons. One of the better ones is called " Lizard skin." It is applied with a spray gun ( included with kit) Cuts noise, heat, not affected after curing by gas, oil etc..

Adam

Reaction score
I have used a product called E-Dead with great success on my old Power Wagon. These trucks are so noisy some of the guys on the Power Wagon Forum say they wear earplugs... It is a peel and stick application; very easy to install, not so easy to remove... it is about 1/2 the cost of some of the other brands. I used it in my interior and inside my doors. It really makes a big difference in the doors! It is far cleaner and certainly more effective than the factory fiberglass pinned to the firewall with a few clips. For the roof I am going to use a spray on product like Leo suggested.
DSC00230.jpgDSC00236.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
my fear with the peel & stick type was removal if the body needed repair , everything will reduce noise , wheel wells , trunk , doors , floors , firewall , roof . Lizard skin is lighter overall but harder to apply cleanly . I cannot see an effect on value unless it is a very original Gold certified type of resto . I used factory rubber underlay below the carpet , it will just lift out later on & it still insulates for heat & sound .

Adam

Reaction score
I havent seen factory rubber underlay, do you mean that tar-paper stuff, is that rubber? If there is room for air to get underneath I think it might hold moisture to the floor so a spray product would be best, obviously harder to remove though. On a related issue, I was at a car show 5-6 yrs ago (in nice weather) and was looking at the trunk of a freshly restored Cuda, with rubber trunk mat. I asked the owner some questions about the trunk plugs and he lifted the mat up, the whole trunk floor was covered in condensation, like a glass of ice water gets.... I think that might be why rusty trunks are so common. Has anyone else seen this?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It was used in later years , 5th ave etc so I fitted mats from that , I lived in a very dry climate & had no issue with condensation + my car is completely sealed with epoxy primer now

Back